D2 Radiator repair? Broken coolant bottle return nipple

nolift911

Feb 19, 2006
So the return for the overflow (small nipple to the right on the upper most part of the radiator) basically broke off. There is not enough (or not much) of an area to get the hose on with a clamp to make it not leak.

So is there a fix for this - some type of couple that permantly mounts on that nipple to extend to I can get a hose and clamp on?

Seems ashame to replace the whole radiator for just that piece (no leaks or issues otherwise)

Didn't know if there was a part or quick fix or even if it is a common issue.

Thanks -

Bosbefok

Jul 20, 2010
Orlando, FL
They do break off, all the plastic parts get brittle. You are SOL unless you can figure out a way to epoxy something on there.

brianhoberg

Apr 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
www.brianhoberg.com
i had mine crap out and crack on me as well. you're stuck with getting a replacement. unfortunately, it's a vulnerable position that gets a lot of heat and will wear. get it replaced with a used one or buy a new one.

nolift911

Feb 19, 2006
I did just wind up getting a new one...with 183k on the truck - I figured I got some use out of the old one even though it sux to have to get a whole new one for this issue.

Got one of AB ones for $300 - seemed reasonable. Installation will take up a good part of my day is the part that sucks also - but that is part of it.

I did limp along with it broken for a bit - I took a dremel and carved out some area around the nipple (there are ridges around the nipple) to get better purchase with the hose to fit on better and a hose clamp. It lasted for about 5 months then started leaking a week ago - tightened it up, stopped a bit but now seeping, so it is time.

Anyway I figured I would ask. Thanks -

Now on to the install -

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
it will leak on you...

ia hve seen some drill out the remnants of the nipple, tap it and thread in a brass nipple with thread sealer on it. didn't leak as far as I could tell. don't know if i would do that though.

nolift911

Feb 19, 2006
KyleT said:
it will leak on you...

ia hve seen some drill out the remnants of the nipple, tap it and thread in a brass nipple with thread sealer on it. didn't leak as far as I could tell. don't know if i would do that though.

That is what I was thinking of doing - but like I said with the mileage it was due and by the time I did all of that I could probably been halfway thru replacement.