Mantec vs ARB/Safari snorkel for ?03 Disco

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
I know this was covered on the old D-web but I'm thinking about getting a snorkel and wanted to know the pros / cons of the Mantec vs ARB snorkel. From a cosmetic perspective, I?m leaning towards the Mantec since it seems like a better design.

Anything other thoughts?

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
Side or Top?

In general, I think that any snorkel that comes out of the side of the fender is just Fugly. I like the clean lines you get when the snorkel comes out the top. Some of the snorkels look like there is some sort of cancerous growth on the side of the vehicle.

Aesthetics aside, I don't want anything that will snag trees, rocks, etc by sticking further out to the side of the vehicle than the sheet metal....

Greg Davis

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yep, I agree. I went with the Mantec because to me, it has much cleaner lines, and looks more integrated, rather than an after-thought. Just my opinion.

GotRovr

Jun 16, 2004
Here is the Mantec snorkle on my 96 D1
Pic 1 - exterior view and Pic 2 - termination at air box

Attachments

• 2004-02-28.jpg
    2004-02-28.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 2004-06-16.jpg
    2004-06-16.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 274

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
How important is the direction off the snorkel head facing? I thought it was interesting that I see lots of the safari snorkel heads facing "forward" but the mantec heads only face the rear.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
I looked at the Mantec snorkel for the d2 and really didn't care for it. It looks like a stove pipe, dryer hose rig.
Also it was kinda pricey so I ordered the Safari snorkel.
If you are close enough to rub your snorkel off on the side of your vehicle, you've already lost your fender flares and a good bit of paint already. Time to choose another line.
At the speeds we drive our disco's there will be no ram air effect from placing the head forward so it seems it's just preference.

M

madmole

I too went Safari. The Mantec looks and feels like some drainpipe and washing machine flexipipe stuck together

The Safari is well protected and is inside the fender flare and the folded wing mirror. Its also one tough son of a bitch and you could roll the car on it without breaking it

Having been through several very heavy UK downpours and squals with it facing forwards even at 80mph motorway speeds I can say the the seperator works well and your have no probs with it facing forwards water or dust wise

By the way the D2 air box has tons of holes in it at the base so fill them up even if you have no snorkle else your wading depth is the bottom of the headlights, NOT the air intake