Nasty Sound, CV joint???

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
where i'm at right now, duh...
I was going up a ledge in 1st gear low in my 97 D1. I slowly gave it power, and my passenger side front tire slipped a little, then I started getting this nasty grinding noise from that area of the axle. It sounded like gears grinding basically. Niether of my front tires were moving at this point. I stopped, backed the truck down and then drove a few blocks back home. The truck drives fine on the street, and I haven't noticed any other problems. I'm guessing it's my CV joint, but I'm not sure. How can I tell if it's my CV joint without obviously taking it apart? I'm planning on going back out, and testing it to see if I have power to that wheel, but other than that I'm at a loss...

Any opinions on what else it may be, or what to check?

I have done a search, and the CV sounds like the most obvious choice to me.

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
A typical easy test for a bad CV is is when you make a slow tight turn you hear clunking noises, you most likely have a bad CV.

With the trans in park, jack up the front wheel on the suspect side, the other side on the ground. Attempt to turn the wheel. If you can turn it, something is broken

C

cmlmtn

A while back one of my caliper bolts worked it's way out on the rear passenger wheel. I didn't notice until I started backing up once, and my tire would lock up after some terrible grinding. Turns out that the caliper was rotating back off of the disk and hitting a burr or nick in the rim. this would only happen when I backed up but it sounds like your symptoms.

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
where i'm at right now, duh...
Jaime said:
A typical easy test for a bad CV is is when you make a slow tight turn you hear clunking noises, you most likely have a bad CV.

With the trans in park, jack up the front wheel on the suspect side, the other side on the ground. Attempt to turn the wheel. If you can turn it, something is broken

Yeah, that's what i was thinking too. When I got home yesterday, i raised the front pass. side, and everything felt normal.

My friend and I are going to take the truck back out and see if i can test that front tire in the next day or so.

I don't want to pull it apart if i don't have to....