Waterproofing the Discovery

T

TexanLR

Well, it's been raining like crazy the whole day, and I've had to drive the Discovery through some of the flooded streets around here just to get home. Here's the part that p.o.'ed me: there were cars, cars , that were driving throuhg the same street that I was w/o a problem whatsoever, and after driving for about 5 minutes or so (total, not continuous) the truck started to act like it was goign to stall out! And this was just going through water that was up to the bumper, at the most. Now, I was wondering what should I go over and waterproof in the truck, and with what exactly (dielectric grease, silicone, what?)? I'm not trying to purposely drive through a river or anything (although from some of the pics I've seen, looks like fun :D ), but it would be nice to get home, not to mention hold the "best 4x4xfar" statement true. Anyway, any info and help y'all can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ivan.

F

Florida_Rover

If it's a DII, you know where the air intake is right? In the friggin wheel well? That makes alot of sense. Check the catch bottle after the air box. If full, your sensor got tripped. Happened to me.Did you look in the airbox?.>JB

T

TexanLR

Nope

Nope, not a DII, and no, that wasn't it. I've been looking over the Haynes manual, and I'm thinking it could have been the speed sensor (I've read other posts before Discoweb went down about the truck acting like it was going to crap out when the speed sensor got wet or anything like that) I was just wondering, what would be the best way to keep water out of there. I'm not looking to cross any rivers, like I said, I would just like to make it home. So what other electrical crap should I pay attention to?

C

Chris F

hey Texan,

Just wondering what you have found out... I am going through the same symptons with my D1. First I had the ECU reprogramed and that seem to fix everything for a couple of months but now I am starting to experence the almost stalling / stalling again. But the funny thing is that remote locking system is screwy too. Usually only acts up when it is rainy or just after!

Chris

T

TexanLR

well, it stopped raining as hard as it did that time, and I've had work almost everyday, so I haven't had the chance or motivation to do anything, plus some other problems are coming up with the truck (either the temp sensor is giving out, or I have to look the radiator over, and it just started to leak oil), but I think it's either the speed sensor that might be acting up when it gets wet, or the connections to the fuel pump since water can get up there. When I get a chance, I'm going to put dielectric grease on both. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
What to use, di-electric grease. Where to use, all connections that you can find. I would use a quadrant approach, meaning start under the hood and do all of the connections. Then start inside the cabin behind the glovebox, kick-panels, etc. Then start under the truck like sensors and what not.
Anywhere that a connection is exposed to water, you should at least consider using DEG.

T

TOM

Cured my roof only by sealing Sunrooves, roof bars, roof to body joint and all window seals.

R

Rene M

TexanLR said:
well, it stopped raining as hard as it did that time, and I've had work almost everyday, so I haven't had the chance or motivation to do anything, plus some other problems are coming up with the truck (either the temp sensor is giving out, or I have to look the radiator over, and it just started to leak oil), but I think it's either the speed sensor that might be acting up when it gets wet, or the connections to the fuel pump since water can get up there. When I get a chance, I'm going to put dielectric grease on both. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Where in Texas are you? I have a 95 d1 and have driven ( out of necessity through very high water to get out of a flooded camp site). I made 4 trips loaded down with others stuck on the wrong side of a flooded area. Water was cresting over my hood but the little rover pushed its way through thank God and Land Rover the camp site was gone the next day and they were pulling people out of trees for hours.. Much later on i just did it for fun i have a few mods to the air box that i made just for such an occasion.
Rene

Tom in MD

Apr 20, 2004
Sarasota, USA
Ecm?

The plastic cover of the ECM came loose on me (actually I left it loose after replacing the antenna, but that's another story) and heavy rain was able to flow over the hood, along the gutter on the fender, overflowing right onto the top of the exposed ECM connector. Guess what ? No go ! After drying everything off I used RTV to glue the cover into place then screwed it back the way it belonged. No trouble with heavy rain since. Few years with no issues.