2004 Land Rover Disco

twales

Aug 12, 2012
Bon Aqua, Tn
The wife and I added to our rover family last night by picking up a 04 with only 44k miles. Seems to be in great shape. CDL locks in.out great and doesn't seem to have any issues while driving it home. I know the front drive shaft will need to be replaced with a unit that can be greased and were gonna keep an eye on the temp guage for overheating. This vehicle isn't the HSE its the trim level right under that. I am gonna toss some cardboard under it in the garage to see if there are any leaks but the engine seems really dry so hopefully this doesn't leak much if any at all.

This is the wifes car so I will have to teach her to be super watchful of the temp and to check the fluids on a normal/continuous basis.

Looking forward to learning more about this vehicle.

Ty

wheelen disco

Jun 20, 2010
rice lake Wisconsin
If your worried about overheating don't rely on the temp gauge, it is essentially a dummy light. It has three positions cold, normal, and overheated. And once it moves from normal to overheated its too late. I would recommend a "ultra gauge" , "scan gauge" or something similar. That way you can keep an eye on the actual temp, and set alarms.

Good luck

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Change all of the fluids.

Replacing all of the coolant hoses and the t-stat probably wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Welcome to the sickness!

DiscoRover007

Dec 28, 2011
NC
Get a 180 motorad t-stat. Hopefully you can extend the life of the original head gaskets. Oh and if you're still running dexcool switch to peak or prestone.

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
definitely get the 180 soft spring tstat. I just had my heads done and replaced the tstat with this. You can search all my previous posts, I never overheated but ran 195-200 on highway, 203 maybe 205 after driving and then sitting awhile. The new tstat has my temps driving at 186, when it sits after a highway drive it will hit 190 and come back down.

I feel a hell of a lot better than I did. I never liked seeing mine do 205 or on rare hot occasions 210...that was only seconds away from mishap and 220 plus temps.

twales

Aug 12, 2012
Bon Aqua, Tn
Thanks for all of the replies people. I do already plan on changing all the fluids in this vehicle as I don't know the previous maintenance record. I will also look for the new thermostat and get that changed when I replace the hoses. I will also look into a scan gauge and a place to mount it.

Ty

On a side note we picked up my 92 rrc about a year ago and I have spent that time getting it back up and running/replacing parts. I am about to take it on its maiden voyage (to me at least) offroad this weekend with some other rover people. So between buying this 04 and plans on saturday I feel like a kid again. Can't seem to stop smiling.

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
Definately buy yourself a $60 scangauge, and play wih the temperature alarm setting. My alarm is approx 5 degrees above the maximum temp setting I ever see. This will at least give some warning. It is also a useful scanner for when the inevitable codes pop up. If you keep a printoff of codes in the glovebox then your wife can check them and figure out what they are herself without leaving the seat. This really worked for me - no more freaking out over the lights on the dash!