Where to put a second battery?

R

RoverNed

I just bought a winch for my truck and wanted to get a second battery to offset the power drain. Where is the most common choice for fitting it into the engine bay? Seems like in front of the air filter box but I don't have a snorkel fitted so the trumpet part still sticks out/blocks the space.

Also, can someone please explain how the "power share" system works when you connect the two batteries up to one another.

S

Snwbord24

For a 12 Volt system with 2 12V batteries they need to be connected in parallel. If you put them in series you'll get 24V.

Someone makes a dual battery tray, I'm someone will chime in with who makes it since I can't remember right now.

Jeremy Parkhouse

May 8, 2004
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
I used two Yellow top Optima batteries with a TJM supplied dual battery management system. Very easy to fit and has a control panel in the cab. I can now let the battery charge automatically or switch them in and out of circuit manually as required. Can be seen at www.tjmproducts.com.au.

The dual battery tray I used was produced by Mike Aedo at Aedofab. Really nice quality. Fit was perfect. There are good fitting instructions on his web site at www.aedofab.com.
e-mail is mike@aedo.net.

Cheers for now

Jeremy Parkhouse
(Dhahran, Saudi Arabia)

S

Sergei

Ned,

trumpet you can take off by hand, its snap-on part. But there still will be not enough room, and you will suffocate your engine, b/c battery and wiring will block way.

If you with D1, then you about to get stuck with putting 2nd battery - there seems to be not too much space, unless you feel like cutting your washer bottle.

Another bit - with Optima's, according to them, you dont really need any isolators and stuff, you just hook batteries in parallel and off you go.

Tree Trimmer

Apr 30, 2004
Foothills of NC
I know this is an old thread, but I put my second battery on the drivers side in front of the air filter and it isn't smothering my engine. I put the optima on its side and didn't have to move the coil or anything except the trumpet on the air intake.

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
Ned, don't worry about the second battery.....still have one four years later and never a problem.

chris Browne (is that the ghost of Ho Lucas I see.......)