Advice on starting a web page

rrefx

Hey guys,
Nothing Land Rover related here, Just a little question. I have a little rental buisness, and most of my work comes from out of state. I'm always getting calls asking if I have a web page, with my equipment listed on it. Up till now, I just haven't been turning enough of a profit to start anything like that, but this year it has finally started to turn around, and I'de like to get my equipment online. Only problem is I don't know the first thing about how to get started, so I thought I'd get a little information before I dive in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

S

syoung

Almost ANY web provider has easy tools to create a basic site in about 20 minutes... it's just a 'fill in the blank' form and it automatically makes a web page from it. Once you start doing things like making tables of products and services etc, then you may want to have someone show you how- it's quite easy as long as you don't try to get really fancy.
If you can use Microsoft Word, you can make a web site.

I've had good luck with www.lunarpages.com cheap too, and they have people who will help you get your site going.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
The easiest way would be to hire a webdesigner to set everything up for you.. cost is VERY variable depending on the person, and on your needs.

In order to set one up yourself, you need the following:

domain name - www.YOURBUSINESSNAME.com - this can be bought from a online store like godaddy.com ($8.95/yr)

Hosting - a place to store your files, and that www.YOURBUSINESSNAME.com points at - There are tons of hosting services, and you can shop around all year.. you have to figure out what your needs are.. for something fast/easy/cheap/reliable.. you could just use GoDaddy's hosting also.. they have plans starting at $3.95/mo [For more data/bandwidth/options, be prepared to pay 9.95-19.95/mo]

Design/Content - There are tons of way's to actually build the website.. you can use a program like Macromedia Dreamweaver (or MS Frontpage) to put it all together.. sometimes, hosting companies will provide you with a very simple interface to build websites.. also, if you want a professional looking website, don't want to spend a lot of money, and don't want to learn how to do it yourself.. many companies sell templates.. where you can pick from a large list of designs, and then just add your own content.

That's basically the jist of everything that you need.. Let me know if you have any more questions..

S

syoung

Also- avoid ANY provider that puts their ads on your pages or sticks advertising pop-ups over your pages. It's WAY unprofessional.
;)

(hire Ryan to do your page- his stuff rocks) hehe

Apexdisco

Apr 20, 2004
Castle Rock, CO
Check out Powweb.com - excellent prices, great customer service, and an excellent user community. I've been with them for about 4 years now. Solid company.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
rmuller said:
The easiest way would be to hire a webdesigner to set everything up for you.. cost is VERY variable depending on the person, and on your needs.

In order to set one up yourself, you need the following:

domain name - www.YOURBUSINESSNAME.com - this can be bought from a online store like godaddy.com ($8.95/yr)

Hosting - a place to store your files, and that www.YOURBUSINESSNAME.com points at - There are tons of hosting services, and you can shop around all year.. you have to figure out what your needs are.. for something fast/easy/cheap/reliable.. you could just use GoDaddy's hosting also.. they have plans starting at $3.95/mo [For more data/bandwidth/options, be prepared to pay 9.95-19.95/mo]

Design/Content - There are tons of way's to actually build the website.. you can use a program like Macromedia Dreamweaver (or MS Frontpage) to put it all together.. sometimes, hosting companies will provide you with a very simple interface to build websites.. also, if you want a professional looking website, don't want to spend a lot of money, and don't want to learn how to do it yourself.. many companies sell templates.. where you can pick from a large list of designs, and then just add your own content.

That's basically the jist of everything that you need.. Let me know if you have any more questions..

Ditto.
I think Ryan either works for godaddy.com or just really likes their commercials :D

There are also some really cheap or free option like tripod that you can play around with and post your contact info with a list and some pics of what you offer. Hiring a web designer is the best bet though and will be easiest for you.

rrefx

Wow, that was a great response. Thanks everyone. Looks like it might be easier than I though. I'll start getting my stuff together and get this up. A web designer does sound the smart road, especially where my clients are all so technical in things like this, I just would have to wait till I finish building a fan I'm working on, and get paid on that to consider hiring someone. For now, I was just wanting to get my company name out there, especially since we just changed the company name. Thanks again for all the information.
Ryan

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
LostInBoston said:
Ditto.
I think Ryan either works for godaddy.com or just really likes their commercials :D

There are also some really cheap or free option like tripod that you can play around with and post your contact info with a list and some pics of what you offer. Hiring a web designer is the best bet though and will be easiest for you.

Hah, and you're telling me this didn't sell you too?

godaddy.jpg