Best Fluids

M

midiot

Hello,

I am new to the whole Disco thing, I am enquiring if there is any (Better and Best) recommendations on what brands and types of fluids one should use. If it matters it is a 2003 Disco II.

Thank you for your time

Midiot

Glenn_Guinto

I've used Mobil 1 and regular dino oil on mine. I think it's a matter of preference.

On my 99D1, I've used Mobil 1 5w 30 since the first oil change and I religously do it every 4000-5000 miles and 85k miles later I haven't had (knock on wood) any issues that are common to D1s. As a matter of fact, it still runs pretty smooth.

On my D90, I use regular oil and religously change it every 2500-3000 miles. I bought the D90 from it's first owner last year and he's got a ton of oil change receipts from the same Dealer where he bought it from originally and they have been using Valvoline. The PO pretty much donated a ton of money to the dealership as he's got every receipt there is regarding the 90.

I think whatever you use, it's just a matter of doing it right and doing the changes religously. Don't skimp out on the scheduled maintenance as well, as often times, these things will eventually cost more if neglected.

GroupW

Apr 20, 2004
Colorado
I think that if you do some research, you will find that the synthetic lubricants far outperform the dino's. Also, you will find that not all synthetics are are of equal quality. For my money, I would only use Amsoil or Redline products.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
I have Mobil one all over my truck. its readily availible and on my college account I can almost afford it. Amsoil seems to be well respected also. I wouldn't use any syn fluid other than Amsoil or the Mobil 1.......... FWIW

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I don't really care what kind of fluids my 10 yo Disco gets as long as the changes are very frequent. As often as I change my fluids, there is no way I am going to put expensive stuff in there at this point.

M

midiot

Thanks again

Well I just took it in for its 7500 mi. service yesterday and they (Land Rover of Seattle) used Castrol GTX. Your responses have been insightful and keep them coming. I just want my to keep my Disco happy.

Midiot

disco01

Apr 20, 2004
Tennessee
A few things.....the LR 7500 interval is a load of crap. Change it every or use synthetic if you are gonna do 7500. I prefer Castrol syntec in the engine only because I like using their 5w-50. I use Mobil in everything else.
Matthew