Exhaust Manifold Replacement

S

Scanner85

Hi, I am new to this board.
I have a 97 Disco and the exhaust manifold is leaking and needs to be replaced.
My question is, should I get it replaced with a stock exhaust manifold, or does someone make aftermarket headers for my Disco?
I know Borla makes an exhaust system for the Disco but it does not look like they make headers for it. I also looked at RPI Engineering, but their site was a little confusing and I could not tell if they had what I am looking for.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Scanner,

What do you mean leaking? I have a small crack in mine and have been told that you can weld it. I have also heard of people using JB Weld in a pinch, but I am reluctant to do that.

Atlantic British/British Pacific carry them for sure. About $100 less than the dealer. You will need gaskets as well.

Anyone out there know how well a weld would work on a 2" x 1/32" crack?

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
It all depends an what you are wanting and willing to do. A stock exhaust manifold is less than $200 per side. Headers are not made to fit for the '97 Disco, but there is a set out there that can be modified to fit, with a little effort. Headman headers makes a header part# 39800 that is designed for the Right hand drive Range Rover. But will a little effort you can fit them on a '97 Disco. The reason I know, is because I have done it. Summit Racing sells them for $109 a set (not ceramic coated), they offer a ceramic coated set for a little over $200 can't remember the exact price (coated only on the outside). Or you can get them from Jet-Hot for $346 delivered rust proofed for life (the option I took). When the archives come up you can search for it or if you are still interested, email me off line and I will try to give more info.

I will say that it took 7 hours to install and I need to remove the starter and had to have a cutting torch on hand to help modify the headers and move O2 sensor holes. Also fitting a "cat" back in place may be even more fun.

Attachments

• Header Mods.JPG
    Header Mods.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 246
  • Driver.JPG
    Driver.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Passenger bottom.JPG
    Passenger bottom.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 205

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Hmmm. Save $100 but create 5 extra hours of work. Not for me, especially since these lasted 10 years.

What is the benefit of doing what you did?

S

Scanner85

Thanks for the info Joey and bri. I do not have the skills to do a modification like that so I guess I will just go with a stock exhaust manifold.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I personally do not know the difference between headers and manifolds.

Sharperover, what are these studs? Engine side? Exhaust side? How to get them out? Can you just get new ones or do they have to be removed?

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
i just did this job.

I replaced both sides on my Range Rover Classic (same manifolds as your disco)

Mine were not cracked but i busted off all my exhaust studs while installing a new exhaust. I tried drilling them out and that turned into a disaster. I decided to do it right and buy all new Manifold, Studs, Bolts to Engine and Gaskets.

Atlantic british has a kit that i purchased for the studs. I recomend the newer gaskets that are like 3 sheets or metal laminated together rather than the old aluminum foil looking ones.

the newer style gasket only takes 2 per side and the old are 4 per side.

also purchase new lock tabs for the bolts and anti sieze.

once i had all the parts in front of me the job only took one evening.

any questions let me know

Rob Davison

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Bri, so far the benifit is slightly better fuel economy and a noticably increase in power. Wish I had some kind of Dino stats for before and after, but just got that ability in the last day or so.

Sharperover, acually I had no issues with removing the studs at all, most of the time was spent modifing the headers and moving the O2 sensors. It took about 8 or 9 times of install and removal of the drivers side to get the headers right without bending them too far.