Leaky caliper?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
The idiot BRAKE light came on the other day. Checked fluid and was at MIN line, I filled it and the light went off. Checked all over for leaks that might contribute to fluid loss. The ONLY thing I found was fluid on the pass. rear caliper.
Have calipers ever been known to leak? It sems weird that one would. Also, the rear pads, rotors, and calipers are all new as of Nov. '08.

bovw

Apr 1, 2006
Orange, VA
The first repair on my 95 when I bought it was to replace a leaking drivers front caliper. If the leaking caliper is only 5 months old, check and make sure the brake lines are tight. Could also be a new defective one.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
All the lines are tight. Not a drop of fluid anywhere near the lines. The "leak" would looks to be on the inside piece near the bottom. I'd really hate to have to replace another caliper. :(

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Are you actually considering leaving it alone?

Buy some decent calipers. While other people might have good luck using remanufactured calipers, I replaced a set of calipers with remans and both have failed in less than 2 years.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Mike_Rupp said:
Are you actually considering leaving it alone?

Buy some decent calipers. While other people might have good luck using remanufactured calipers, I replaced a set of calipers with remans and both have failed in less than 2 years.

Only if it isn't going to get any worse. I'm also wondering what the timeframe is I need to get this done in.

I thought the calipers I got were DECENT. Remanufactured Lockheed, seems to be pretty common. Lockheed are what was original. Got any suggestions for "decent" calipers? I suppose I'll return these and get new ones. Arrrrgh!

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
it can get worse real quick, lots of pressure and heat. if you dont look to see whats going on you may not realize how bad it is.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Called the parts store today. Calipers are warranteed for 6 months. Had to order one up, it'll be here Tuesday. Hopefully it doesn't blow before then.

foffracing

Dec 16, 2008
take it off, weld a bolt into the end of a 4.78mm metric brake line union. screw it on the brake line. finished no more leak.

foffracing

Dec 16, 2008
why did you need calipers on the back. take off the caliper. put the cap on, it won't leak anymore.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
fishEH said:
The idiot BRAKE light came on the other day. Checked fluid and was at MIN line, I filled it and the light went off. Checked all over for leaks that might contribute to fluid loss. The ONLY thing I found was fluid on the pass. rear caliper.
Maybe it isn't such an "idiot" light. Without that light, you'd be driving until you blew the piston seal completely, or sucked in air into the master cylinder.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
p m said:
Maybe it isn't such an "idiot" light. Without that light, you'd be driving until you blew the piston seal completely, or sucked in air into the master cylinder.

True. I'm glad the light is there to inform me. Didn't mean to offend the intrument panel. :ack:

Thanks for the tip Foffracing.