02 discovery transmission problems!!!!!

D

disco steveo

Hey guys!
I am new to this site and I just recently bought my first Rover. It is a 2002 Discovery SE with 73,000 miles. Today on my way to work the transmission started acting up. It started shifting really hard and then the manual and sport light started flashing. As of now it will hardly move. When it does move the engine revs high and wont shift right.
Has anyone out there had this problem? Book says an electrical fault. I am hoping that is what it is and not a major transmission problem. any help would be appreciated.:banghead:

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
the book says "electrical fault" for pretty much everything. thats just how they get you to bring it in. to me it sounds like the transmission is shot. but i'm sure someone will know alot more and chime in. whats the fluid level?

D

disco steveo

You can say that again! It has the manual/sport transmission and I have looked all over to find if anyone had the similar problems. I haven't checked fluids yet. Will do first thing tomorrow. It ran great with no symptoms until today. I have a gut feeling that this is going to be expensive.
Thanks.
Steveo'

D

disco steveo

Man, I didnt realize this was that common of a problem. It sounds like it could be anything from a battery to sensors, to bad tranny. I started it up this morning and still have the same problem. Revs. high but will hardly move.
Thanks for pointing in the right direction!

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
i hate to say it but unfortunately yours sounds worse than the others.

What about changing the fluid - there was a rather lengthly discusssion on this before but since you alreay have the problems......

lobopac

Aug 12, 2006
i have some intermittant problems similar to above. how do you check the fluid level in a 00 disco? and if low, what kind of fluid to you add. or would you just drain fluid and fill up with new?

M

mistered

lobopac said:
i have some intermittant problems similar to above. how do you check the fluid level in a 00 disco? and if low, what kind of fluid to you add. or would you just drain fluid and fill up with new?

Gonna need a tranny....

F

frickjp

The box is electronically controlled. If you lose all electrics, you have mechanical third and reverse. Flashing M&S means there's a code. I think you'll find incorrect ratio. If it revs and does not move forward, that's not good news. Unplug the trans ECU. (Under the drivers seat) If you have good forward (remember, it's in third) there's hope. If it still slips, it's toast. Forward clutch is applied in all forward gears. It can be renewed without overhauling the entire box, but your wrench will have to discuss that with you.
The naysayers will say it's not possible to Band-Aid it, but it's been a steadily improving soft spot on this box for 25 years. I replaced the forward clutch on my 1984 BMW and got another 160K out of it before the box finally expired at 250K. I have patched them on many occasions, and they last for years. YMMV.

DOHC Holliday

Jul 20, 2006
Western CT
You really need to have someone pull the codes out of it. Could end up being as simple as a wiring issue, solenoid fault, etc.. And if not...I hope you've got some Vaseline...

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
do a search for changing the tranny fluid. Straightforward.

two plugs - one fill on the upper front and one on the bottom. Loosen the fill first just to make sure you can get it off - if you do it all the way .... here comes the fluid.

Undo the drain and allow fluid to drain. Tighten the drain plug. Use a pump to fill until a little seeps out. Start the engine, step on brake, go through R,N,D,3,2 (don't drive it) a couple of times. Leave engine running.

Continue to fill more now. Should get a total of about 5 quarts (more or less) in there total. You will not get all the fluid out of there unless you have someone do a flush.

Sounds like these other guys have a little better handle on what's going on.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

D

disco steveo

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your input. I havent had time to look at it much. Im hopeful that the tranny isnt bad. I started it up and drove it. Lights werent on, Took off ok but as soon as it tried to shift the lights came on and it kind of jerked when it shifted. Reverse works fine. I dont have a repair manual yet. Is the tranny ecu under the amp? I live so far from a LR repair shop and not sure if anyone local will even look at it. Can anyone with a OBD11 check the codes? And if so, How much will it really tell them? Oh, by the way I now have a check engine light, downhill descent, and a ABS light on. Im not comletely illiturate when it comes to automobiles but Im not sure were to start on these.
Thanks again for everyones help.:bigok:
Disco Steveo'

gsitts

May 3, 2004
Breaux Bridge La.
Hi I recently had the same issues with my trans on my 02 d2, I Had a local (very good) Trans shop Not LRNA look at it and was told the ZF tranny is common to a lot of vehicles and they could fix it which they did by repairing the selector switch on the side of the case and doing the normal maintenance on it.... Later due to my stupidity I destroyed the trans by improper towing and got a replacement thru tidewater for both the trans and transfer case which again was serviced and installed by my local guy. Tide water's John Miller was super to deal with if you need a trans... $1500.00 for both units.

F

frickjp

But for around the same dough, you can get a ZF reman from a ZF authorized dealer with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. You already have a used one.

There were several TSBs on the DII trannies. Ranging from bad selectro switches to bad wiring harnesses to ECU faults. IT may be worth your time to call a dealer, give them your VIN and ask them if there are any open TSBs on your VIN range. while they won't fix it for free like if it were a recall, at least you'll know it might be a common failure that is easily diagnosed and repaired.

Also, sometimes, a bad or really weak battery can cause the same types of faults.

Let's not give up on it completely-yet.
Jeff-can you find the TSBs for things like the harness?

D

disco steveo

Hey guy's,
Where can I find a good manual? I have seen a bunch of cdr's on ebay ranging from 30.00 to 5.00 dollars.