renting GPS unit??

S

syoung

buy an early first generation streetpilot- the monochrome display version.
the monochrome display is larger than the color ones in the newer models. they are dirt cheap on ebay but can run all the modern software.
I can't stand the 'buy it, use it, return it" mentality.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I have spent 10 grand at best buy in the past 5 years . i have no issue buying a product from them and then returning. I have not done it but I've paid my dues if i did want to do it.

rd

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
if all of your funds are spent preparing for the trip you should not go on thre trip. if there is an issue on your trip you will be broke.

a GPS is only $120 new and you probably don't need it anyway.

rd

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
If you have a laptop check out Delorme
GPS and Mapping software for $129. I've been using it for about 4 years or so.
I use it on a Thinkpad 600x, 500mhz with 256mb of memory I think. You can load maps to your hard drive so they access faster, and only load the one's you need if you're limited on space.
It's only ever been an issue with bright direct sunlight on the screen, which doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

super-poser

Apr 21, 2004
Western NC
antichrist said:
If you have a laptop check out Delorme
GPS and Mapping software for $129. I've been using it for about 4 years or so.
I use it on a Thinkpad 600x, 500mhz with 256mb of memory I think. You can load maps to your hard drive so they access faster, and only load the one's you need if you're limited on space.
It's only ever been an issue with bright direct sunlight on the screen, which doesn't happen often.

How do you like the software? I have heard of some people uing the Microsoft streets software with the DeLorme earthmate. I was just given a Dell laptop that needs repairing and when I get it fixed I think I am going the DeLorme route. How did you mount your laptop? thanks Charles :D

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
super-poser said:
How do you like the software? I have heard of some people uing the Microsoft streets software with the DeLorme earthmate. I was just given a Dell laptop that needs repairing and when I get it fixed I think I am going the DeLorme route. How did you mount your laptop? thanks Charles :D

I like it. Been using it and Topo USA for several years. The 2005 versions let you add new roads too, which is good for off-road trails that aren't on the map. I've had two or three versions due to upgrades. Part of why I got it though is that I avoid MS products if I can find an alternative that meets my needs. So far, except for the OS for my laptop when I'm using Delorme (it only runs on windows :( ), I'm 100% MS free :D
Also, using GSAK, I can move waypoints easily between it and my Magellan hand held GPS. My Magellan will supposedly work with the Delorme software, but I already had the Delorme GPS. Also the original question appeared to be looking for a low cost solution. If you have a laptop and don't already have a GPS, I think the Delorme package is one of the least expensive routes to go.

I mounted it on a new lid I made for my cubby. I think I was supposed to post some pics of the setup. LOL
Steve Young doesn't like my setup, but that's just cause he has tender elbows :p

Last edited:

darw_n

Jul 19, 2004
breckenridge, colorado
thanks for the input, I think I can snag a laptop or 2, that will make things cheaper.

also, I didn't spend all my money in the trip already, I just have a strict budget with much of my liquid cash set aside for troubles and such.

I just didn't want to drop alot of cash on something that is only an aid in an emergency.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
darw_n said:
snip
I just didn't want to drop alot of cash on something that is only an aid in an emergency.

Where I've been maybe the most happy I've had it is traveling on interstates and coming upon traffic backed up from a wreck or whatever. I get on the CB and find out how long the backup is. Many a time I've taken a detour using the mapping software rather than sit for hours in traffic.
But, I use it for many other things too.

S

syoung

Steve Young doesn't like my setup, but that's just cause he has tender elbows

the physical therapy is coming along nicely, thank you.

If you plan to use a laptop, you can score an old cheap early Garmin with a serial interface for next to nothing. I saw a Garmin GPSII go for $15 on ebay. No maps, but small and has serial interface. Target had some on sale recently and I got a Garmin Geko for $30, but I don't think it has any serial capability. Shop around- GPS stuff is getting cheaper all the time.