thunk

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
www.hillbillytrailcrew.com
What does a cv joint on the way out sound like (if anything)? I am hearing a weird clunk from the right front tire area, usually when braking or bouncing around a bit. I don't think that there is a retaining clip on the spring - could it just be the spring moving around?

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
I was hearing something similar. Turned out to be a couple of loose lugs. See if any or your lugs have come a little loose. I did about 3/4 turn on a couple - thunk ended.

Just a possibility.

-Steven

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
I used to get a clunk when going around turns when the steering wheel was on its way back to center. It turned out to be a loose radius arm nut. Even if everything feels tight underneath, re-tighten all of the bolts on the radius arms and panhard rod.

uberhahn

Apr 20, 2004
I would think that CV's would make more noise when under a side load (turning), unless they're completely fried. See if you can move it around by hand to make the noise.

H

Hokie_Rover

If there's a wobble, check your ball joints; jack up the front end, and see if the front wheels wobble or have any play (check laterally and vertically). I recently thought I had shot ball joints, due to uneven tire wear, and a wobble at 50-60 mph. Didn't have a "thunk", though, which is an indicator of ball joint wear; mine turned out to be unbalanced tires, as one of the weights had gotten thrown, so a simple pressure check and rotation fixed mine. Hope your's is as simple, and not a ball joint ... I understand they can be a real PITA to replace.

-Alan

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
radius arm bolts

tighen the bolts on the radius arm. I though I had a CV issue as well, and when the dealership took a look at it, they initially thought it was a CV issue as well - until they tore it apart and didn't see any problems. They retorqued everything, and told me they tightened the radius arm bolts. No problems now.

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
www.hillbillytrailcrew.com
My manhood is vanishing as I type this, but where exactly is the radius arm? Can anyone point me to a diagram? Which reminds me... I also have a little tab that looks as if it should be attached to something on the drivers side wheel hub. Any ideas?

disco01

Apr 20, 2004
Tennessee
My 01 D2 makes a metal on metal clunk noise sometimes when the left front wheel goes into a big bump or sometimes over speed bumps. I have heard it make the same noise when crawling and flexing. I have tightened everything up and it makes no difference. I has gradually been getting more and more frequent. There is a little bit of fluid like goop below the CV boot, but I figure that is normal for a LR. Anyhow, your radius arm connects your axle to the fram. It has three bolts. The bolt head is a 22mm and I used a 1" wrench on the nut and a torque wrench and took them down to about 120ft-lb or so. The thing on the front of you wheel that has a whole in it is there for the steering to connect on RHD cars.