Crunching sound in engine

classicrr

Apr 4, 2007
Charleston
My disco (99 series 2, 4.0) has recently started to make a metal crunching sound that is most easily heard when you turn the engine off. Sounds like it comes to a crunching halt. You can also slightly hear it when you turn the car on too.

Otherwise the the truck is great. no problems, just this concerning noise. any thoughts?

B

Beard

my suggestion is something that is spinning.. bad bearing or something.. when it gets up to speed it balances out per se.
u dont hear it at start up cause other noises are going on..
have someone help u listen while u turn it on and off..
but dont worry too much.. if its something major ull find out very soon what it is

Durham_Disco

Feb 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
Slip the serpentine belt off, and let it run without the accessories & have a good listen. After that, If it still exists, I would slide underneath while its running and listen from front of engine to back of trans, as it could be located in there as well. Last summer I found my alternator bearing making a nice crunchy crunchy sound... new bearings and good to go!. Let me know if you need info on bearings for it.

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
My favorite noise is a broken flex-plate.

It sounds like a bunch of marbles are bouncing around in the engine.
yikes!

classicrr

Apr 4, 2007
Charleston
does not seem belt/ancillary realted. Seems to almost come from the transmission hump. But i only really notice it at low speeds and at idle (in drive or park). sounds like th eflex plate might be the winner