Any Rock Climbers out there???

D

Disco_Momma

I am wanting to build a wall and I am lookiing for some good holds..... I really don't want to bother with anything but bolted holds. The only screwed holds that I have seen are tiny crimpers.....which is good...but I can find the same size holds with bolts and then they are less hassle to move.

SO...my question is does anyone have suggestions as to where to buy them online and get more for your buck. I have found a couple of good deals and read a couple of reviews in climbers magazine but all in all it has been a while since I have been into this aspect of climbing.....all my friends have built walls...but out of all the years I climbed I never did.

I wanted to do it for my son before Christmas but it looks like a Christmas break project. We will see.

D

Disco_Momma

I had looked at the Cheapholds.com and they were the best price wise that I could find. Then that Mountain gear site is great. They had a coupld of good deals, with really good holds.
Thanks Susannah :D

Greg French

Sep 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
I have seen/bought a lot of my things on ebay. There are lots of companies that sell things on there unused, for a decent price.

BTW...I have a 30' wall at my house made with natural rock. I kind of slipped it into the plans when I was building the house last year.

Attachments

• Picture 019 small.jpg
    Picture 019 small.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 102
D

Disco_Momma

GREG!!! I AM SO JEALOUS..... I want one. Did you even incorporate a anchor system into it?

D

Disco_Momma

Roverlady said:
Looks like he must have since he's harnessed....very cool! :)

oppsss....lol....I guess I meant what did he do for an anchor? I guess it is pretty evident that there is one. I was typing one thing and thinking another....sorry. LOL

Greg French

Sep 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
Before the stone was added, I installed 1/2 inch thick aluminum plates on each side, lagged into the frame of the house 4 different places on each side of the wall.
Shackles through the holes hold the rope. (Rope is fed through both for safety) one end tied to the harness, and one to a ground preson with a super-8 Belay.

When I am climbing, though, I use a petzl microcender with no ground person.

I modified the top anchor recently, and added a chain between the 2 anchor points, then bolted a bicycle horn at the top of the wall.

The neighbors love it!

A

AndyThoma

My back yard climbing wall ... :D

Attachments

• skyline.jpg
    skyline.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 87

kellymoe

Banned
Apr 23, 2004
Burbank
I built a climbing wall in my garage. It covers one side up to the wall and is slightly overhung most of the length. It then wraps around the back wall for 8 feet. Also half of the ceiling is covered with 1/2 plywood and I have huge bomber holds for a good pump workout. In esscence half of my garage is like a cave. Buy the least expensive holds you can find and buy LOTS of them. You need variety to keep things interesting. Next suggestion is start climbing outdoors and on real rock.

JeffM

Apr 20, 2004
New Hampshire
Greg French said:
I have seen/bought a lot of my things on ebay. There are lots of companies that sell things on there unused, for a decent price.

BTW...I have a 30' wall at my house made with natural rock. I kind of slipped it into the plans when I was building the house last year.

5.9b ?
:D

D

dent

was co-owner of a climbing gym and since we were on a tight on cash, hold as you know are a chuck of change...
so we made our own.. find that with time and experience it gets better...
go get some bondo, silica/ sand, make a mold out of clay or something you can mold. coat mold with silcon, wait for it to dry, add another layer and do it about 4 times... take the silcon out mold out... mix bondo with some silca or sand 2:1 and dump into mold. have some guinness and wait patiently. after it hardends, grab a drink and drill out from top a hole big enough for a washer about 1/3 of a way deep... get a smaller drill bit and go all the way through.. attach hold to wall and climb away :)
if you have some bondo left, fill in some dents you can't hammer out :)
take care
sam

D

Disco_Momma

Greg French said:
Before the stone was added, I installed 1/2 inch thick aluminum plates on each side, lagged into the frame of the house 4 different places on each side of the wall.
Shackles through the holes hold the rope. (Rope is fed through both for safety) one end tied to the harness, and one to a ground preson with a super-8 Belay.

When I am climbing, though, I use a petzl microcender with no ground person.

I modified the top anchor recently, and added a chain between the 2 anchor points, then bolted a bicycle horn at the top of the wall.

The neighbors love it!

I LOVE IT TOO!!!! THAT IS GREAT. What a great rig!

D

Disco_Momma

kellymoe said:
Next suggestion is start climbing outdoors and on real rock.

See that is half my problem....climbing outside is all I am used to. I am not savy on this indoor climbing. For years the only time I would lcimb was if we were going outside, and that was every weekend. To be honest I would climb a little in the gym but nowhere near as much as I climbed outside.

D

Disco_Momma

dent said:
was co-owner of a climbing gym and since we were on a tight on cash, hold as you know are a chuck of change...
so we made our own.. find that with time and experience it gets better...
go get some bondo, silica/ sand, make a mold out of clay or something you can mold. coat mold with silcon, wait for it to dry, add another layer and do it about 4 times... take the silcon out mold out... mix bondo with some silca or sand 2:1 and dump into mold. have some guinness and wait patiently. after it hardends, grab a drink and drill out from top a hole big enough for a washer about 1/3 of a way deep... get a smaller drill bit and go all the way through.. attach hold to wall and climb away :)
if you have some bondo left, fill in some dents you can't hammer out :)
take care
sam

I wasa reading up on this technique and it is good to hear that it is really just as simple as I have read it to be. I just might try this. Thanks Sam