Detroit Locker question?

D

discochris

I just put a rear Detroit locker in the Discovery last night. When I drove it this morning, it feels like the Rover is jerked harder when I shift it into gear. It did this a little before, but it has increased. Is this because the rear end is locked and it won't let the tires slip when I put it into gear?

Thanks
Chris

K

Kyle

The tires slip when you put it into gear ? Who installed the carrier ?

D

discochris

I guess it wouldn't be slipping. I am just trying to figure out what would cause it to jerk harder than it did before the locker. I am going to go and try it again. It might have been because I was on a slight hill.

D

Disco Mike

You should not have any lash or feel any different when you shift into gear with a Detroit.
I would say it is not set up well and needs to be corrected before you cause a problem.
The only thing I needed to work out with my Detroit was a good oil that would keep the clicking and unloading to a mimium. Have you also installed HD axles, if not plan on it before you do too much hard core wheeling.
You might want to use a GL6 rated 140 wt. oil and some Lucas, if you don't want to have a noisy Detroit, it works.
Mike J.

D

discochris

I put in Rovertracks heavy duty axles. I think the jerking was because I was on a slight downhill in my wet yard. It wasn't really a clanking of the gears, it was more of a jerk of the whole vehicle. It did that before the locker when I would shift on a hill.

K

Kyle

Installing a detroit typically tightens the driveline up a little as it replaces the sloppy stock third member. You seem to be avoiding it but I am going to ask one more time . Who set the damn thing up?!?!?!?! If the backlash wasnt setup right or the entire thing wasnt done right it will just self destruct...

D

discochris

My cousin and I set it up. We did the locker on his Toyota and we have never had a problem out of it. We checked the backlash. We also used gear paint and checked the pattern of the gear as it turns in relation to the pinion. It was right on. I went and played with the Rover again. I put it on a hill and shifted into reverse and then into drive. I experienced a jerk before the locker, but it felt like it wasn't as tight as it is now. Like you said, the locker makes it feel tighter when it moves as it is shifted. I have not heard any clanking or whining from the rear when I put it into gear. I guess it is just the tighter driveline that felt different to me. Also, does your Detroit ever lock up if you go around turns? I was wondering if it would act like some of the other lockers that people I know have. My Detroit just clicks like they said it would, but it won't catch in a turn. I was wondering if anyone have experienced their locker wearing out, causing it to lock up when it shouldn't?

Thanks
Chris

K

Kyle

When its new it will let out a rebelious cry once in awhile , typicall when backup and turning then gassing going forward strightening up. Like backing out of a parking space. After some miles that should go away completely.. All you should hear are the clicks in a turn

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Have you guys pulled that thing out yet? It sounds to me like there is an inch of backlash. Sometimes what happens is that the carrier bearings are not pressed on all the way. The bearing journal is longer than the bearings on the Detroit. You may need to take a brass punch and hammer the bearings on the last couple of thousands. What might have happened in your case is the carrier may have been setup correctly with the bearings not on all the way. After you drove it the bearings probably set themselves in. Now your backlash is all off. Pull it out and reset the backlash.

That "Pop" is pretty scary that Kyle is talking about. It happened a few times with my first Detroit but hasn't happened at all with my second.

D

discochris

Well, after driving it some more, it feels better. Like Kyle described, it tightened up the driveline. I guess it just puzzled me because I didn't know that would happen.

D

Disco Mike

Chris,
It sounds like you may be confused about a Detroit, it is always locked until you turn and at that time it will unlock in the form of a clicking sound or if real bad as a harsh unload that can shake the truck.
When you get ready to change the oil again, soon then later as part of a breake in period, let me know and I'll tell you how to quiet it down with the right oils.
Mike J.

P

PHARAOHDISCO

Disco Mike said:
Chris,
It sounds like you may be confused about a Detroit, it is always locked until you turn and at that time it will unlock in the form of a clicking sound or if real bad as a harsh unload that can shake the truck.
When you get ready to change the oil again, soon then later as part of a breake in period, let me know and I'll tell you how to quiet it down with the right oils.
Mike J.

What are the right oils for a Detroit?

Thks.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
i've used both types of oil; synthetic and dino, with and without lucas oil...
i could never tell the difference also... the key is keep it clean and change it often.

i did however notice a difference with the lucas oil in my transfer case...not quite as loud.