2002 DII: Disconnecting wires from spark plugs

antare

Oct 5, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Hi,
Is there a trick to Disconnecting the wires from the spark plugs without damaging the cables ?. I tried pulling from the rubber and it is too tight.
Do i have to twist ? left or right ?. anyone has any experience on this ?

Kacers

Apr 25, 2005
Near Junk
Twist to get them loose - both directions. Then pull. You can buy a boot puller at your local auto parts store if you want.

AndrewT

A

AusTex

If your boots are turning gray and all crusty from heat exposure, good luck pulling them off without a crunch or two and/or them simply snapping right in half. Just really take your time and slowly twist while pulling on the boot, and don't pull them by the wire itself or you'll rip the wire right out of the boot . I really greased mine up when I replaced them with that dielectric plug grease stuff. Haven't had issues pulling them off after that.

ml4x4

Feb 11, 2007
Newnan, GA
I would highly recommend the spark plug wire pullers from the auto store. Buy the good ones and they'll last you a long time.
This will save you from buying new wires.
If the boots are cracked and worn, you may want to replace them anyway. I did recently on my 03 Disco and it drives like a new truck.

With the distributor between the engine and the firewall on my truck it was not an easy job, so I paid my mechanic to replace all my wires.

Good luck!

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Just do not put yourself in the position of having to replace a wire if at all possible.

It is not easy, so try your darndest not to break them, even to the point of buying a tool to facilitate their removal.

You are pretty much garanteed to have to send them off to be replaced, unless you either don't mind removing a bunch of parts to get to them, or are in fact a Chinese midget.

It's not that you can't repair a broken wire, but factory wires can cause lots of problems when they are damaged.

Cheers,

Kennith

Colorado Scott

Oct 25, 2005
Highlands Ranch, CO
Use tool G.

If the wires are bad, they're bad. If they tear apart while removing them, that's a huge indicator that that should be replaced- Insulation has gone to shit and they might me arcing anyway.

There are a few aftermarket companies making stock length wires for your application so no worries about trying to repair the ones you currently have on your truck, especially if you have 60K on your engine and need to replace your spark plugs per the LR maintenance schedule. Change them both at the same time; just use plenty of dielectric grease when installing the new wire set.

My .02...