Touchscreen Navigation

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Navigation System

In the past I had a "carputer" that did everything (AM/FM/CD/NAV/MP3/DivX/DVD etc). The trouble with this setup was that I was always worried about it if I left the truck at a hiking trailhead. I like having a PC in the car though, as I can use it for Nav, as an OBDII scanner, store my Rave manuals, store photos, write up trip reports in the field, surf the web, and check email. I decided to go with an Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) so I can quickly remove it from it's RAM mount and store it in my locking drawers when not in use.

After a fair amount of research into UMPCs and ruggedized hardware in general I found the TabletKiosk EO Tuftab v7112XT. This is a compromise computer. It isn't as cheap as say an Asus R2H ($650 used), but it isn't as expensive as Toughbook tablet ($4000) either. It has a sunlight visible touchscreen and has a ruggedized case. For use in an enclosed vehicle it sounded perfect to me.

I purchased the Tuftab along with the VESA compatible docking station. Pulled the metal bracket off the docking station, drilled it, and shaved it to make a permanent low profile bracket that would mate to a VESA mounting plate from RAM.

The Mighty GPS through hull antenna is really easy to mount. Mounted by popping out rear dome light, drilling a hole, threading the cable through the headliner and down the A-pillar, and popping the dome light back in. Took about 30 minutes including the time to get the drill from the shop. Some people worry about drilling a hole in their truck. When you go to sell, either leave the GPS in, or you can get a rubber plug from Home Depot. Many trucks with factory GPS options have rubber plugs in the roof these days.

I've been using this system for about 6 months now and really like it. The processor on the Tuftab is a little bit slow but it keeps up enough to not frustrate me.

The software I'm using is my company's software, Overland Navigator. We have a new version out, and will put up a DiscoWeb promotion in a week or two.

* TabletKiosk EO Tuftab v7112XT - Sunlight Visible 7" Touchscreen, Semi Ruggedized, Bluetooth, etc
* MightyGPS Weatherproof through hull SIRF III GPS
* RAM mount securing it to the dash
* ElmScan 5 Bluetooth OBDII Reader

Software:

* Overland Navigator - Touchscreen Topographic Mapping Software
* Scantool.Net OBDII Software
* Windows XP Tablet Edition

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3385.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 121
  • rubicon_snap.jpg
    rubicon_snap.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
  • info_waypoint_dlg.jpg
    info_waypoint_dlg.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DII_HawkinsMtn.jpg
    DII_HawkinsMtn.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 120
  • oba2_sm.jpg
    oba2_sm.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Houston

May 29, 2008
What is your input device? Is there a usable virtual keyboard on that Tablet or is the whole goal to iconize everything that you would want to do?

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Overland Navigator is setup to work entirely via touchscreen, so a keyboard isn't needed. If you have a laptop/netbook, it supports keyboard input for all functionality and this can be customized by the user. E.g. you can assign PgUp/PgDn for zoom in/out, use the arrow keys for panning, and assign function keys to specific waypoint symbols. Finally, for the more technically savvy, Overland Navigator supports a windows messaging API that allows you to control it completly with any input device. For example, I've had it connected to my steering wheel controls in the past, but it would also work great with the "Space Navigator" or a Griffin Powermate.

The OBDII software also works fine with only touch.

If you do want/need one, the Zero Weight Keyboard is an awesome virtual keyboard. You can see it in this YouTube video @ 3:35.

Once I get to camp, if I want to use the device as a traditional laptop to write up a trip log I have a Bluetooth Mouse and a folding Bluetooth Keyboard. Both setup really easy.

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
Nice. I like that, looks pretty good. I always liked your "Carputer" set up and have always wanted one but worried about some one stealing it.

c0smo kram3r

Feb 17, 2009
Alabama
If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? I'm thinking highly of doing one as well. The way I was going to set mine up, is use a flip out touch screen monitor instead of the stock HU. Then, custom build my computer w/ my desired components. The only downside, is hooking up subwoofers (which I plan on doing). *Usually* the computer is not good enough & you need to run through an aftermarket HU. My plan was to mount one in the center console that's hidden but functional if need be.

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
c0smo kram3r said:
If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? I'm thinking highly of doing one as well. The way I was going to set mine up, is use a flip out touch screen monitor instead of the stock HU. Then, custom build my computer w/ my desired components. The only downside, is hooking up subwoofers (which I plan on doing). *Usually* the computer is not good enough & you need to run through an aftermarket HU. My plan was to mount one in the center console that's hidden but functional if need be.

An EO Tuftab full retail is $1700. Right in the middle between an Asus R2H and fully ruggedized Panasonic toughbook tablet/UMPC. You can buy the Tuftab's from TabletKiosk (link in my original post).

If that's too expensive, a used Asus R2H is a great value and includes an integrated SIRFIII GPS. Similarly, there are a bunch of 3rd generation UMPC/Netbook computers coming out right now for $3-500 that have integrated GPS, and that are convertible between 10" laptop and 10" touchscreen tablet.

I used to have a carputer in my truck. I pulled the CD changer out and mounted the computer under the passenger seat. Back then, you couldn't buy a mini-itx case, so I made my own from a 10" electronics project box. I modified the dash to fit a Gen 1Xenarc 7" touchscreen and a CD/DVD drive in place of the factory stereo. I had a separate sound card in it and basically wired it up to the factory amplifier in my DII. Sounded good and didn't require a headunit.

Personally, I like the UMPC better than the carputer. It is easier to read both because it faces me and because it has a sunlight visible screen. It can be stored in my locking drawers when I leave the vehicle to go hiking/snowshoeing, etc. I can carry it over to the campfire, or to another drivers window and talk to them about where we are and where we are going to go. It's worked out well for me, but a clean carputer install is nice because it definately keeps the dashboard clutter to a minimum.

Attachments

• P6300002 (Medium).JPG
    P6300002 (Medium).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010097 (Small).JPG
    P1010097 (Small).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 119
  • carputer(small).jpg
    carputer(small).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 69

c0smo kram3r

Feb 17, 2009
Alabama
craig said:
An EO Tuftab full retail is $1700. Right in the middle between an Asus R2H and fully ruggedized Panasonic toughbook tablet/UMPC. You can buy the Tuftab's from TabletKiosk (link in my original post).

If that's too expensive, a used Asus R2H is a great value and includes an integrated SIRFIII GPS. Similarly, there are a bunch of 3rd generation UMPC/Netbook computers coming out right now for $3-500 that have integrated GPS, and that are convertible between 10" laptop and 10" touchscreen tablet.

I used to have a carputer in my truck. I pulled the CD changer out and mounted the computer under the passenger seat. Back then, you couldn't buy a mini-itx case, so I made my own from a 10" electronics project box. I modified the dash to fit a Gen 1Xenarc 7" touchscreen and a CD/DVD drive in place of the factory stereo. I had a separate sound card in it and basically wired it up to the factory amplifier in my DII. Sounded good and didn't require a headunit.

Personally, I like the UMPC better than the carputer. It is easier to read both because it faces me and because it has a sunlight visible screen. It can be stored in my locking drawers when I leave the vehicle to go hiking/snowshoeing, etc. I can carry it over to the campfire, or to another drivers window and talk to them about where we are and where we are going to go. It's worked out well for me, but a clean carputer install is nice because it definately keeps the dashboard clutter to a minimum.

yea... I would love to go w/ a Mac Mini if I could find a good used one at a decent price. Then just buy the flip out screen. I REALLY don't like monitors/gps's stuck on the windshield. It looks tacky to me, so that's why I want it on the dash board.

blazer7

Dec 24, 2008
South Florida
would LOVE to have the "carputer" for clean look as long as I could run all the toys through it. Anyone know where you can find a used or fairly descent price on one??

burn_e

Mar 20, 2008
Dubai, UAE
that's a handy setup. was wondering how the vibrations/shacks are when the car bounces over a gravel track or so...

I use a Garmin 276c and sometimes its just not readable anymore.

ondfly

Jan 8, 2005
So. Cal
Craig, how did the RAM base fit in the narrow tray? The RAM base is 2.5" and the tray is 2"! Type and length of screw, or did you bolt it down?

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
I've had a lot of questions about when we will add support for additional states.

We've added Overland Navigator regional Map-packs covering the rest of the Western US to our webstore (http://spatialminds.com). Regional Map-packs include 1:250k, 1:100k, and 1:24k USGS Topos for a region.

We now have support for the following regions:
Washington
Oregon
California North
California Central
California South
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Montana North
Montana South
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas North
Texas South
Mid-Atlantic Region (District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware)

More are on their way...

Also, the entire US is available in a map-pack with 1:250k and 1:100k maps, but not the 1:24k maps. All of the map-packs can be used together, so you can have US wide coverage to 1:100k and 1:24k coverage in your home region.

Last edited: