LR Extended Warranty

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
So I went to my local LR dealer this weekend to inquire about extended warranty for my 2004 Discovery since my original warranty is running out rapidly :ack: . They told my that LR had just changed their policy and now you have to extend the warranty 5 months or 5000 miles prior to the expiration of your original warranty instead of the original 1 month or 1000 miles prior to the expiration of the warranty.

They quote me 7 years or 60000 miles for $2900.00 I just wanted to pass this information in case some of you don't know about this change yet. What do you guys think about the price?

Best regards!!!

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
ROVERMAN said:
... What do you guys think about the price?...

Wow, great that you posted those changes in case anyone is considering purchasing one!

What is the deductible on the LR Assured Warranty at that price?

If I remember correctly, I received quotes on deductibles of $200, $100, $50, and $0.

I chose the zero deductible and it was quite a bit more expensive. However, for the peace of mind, I felt it was worth it.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
I chose $100... since the labor cost is $85/hr, I figure any part that costs $15 and takes less than an hour to install I can easily do!

If you don't know how, or want to work on your truck a lot, then the warranty is good.. that price isnt bad.. (60k miles... so that'll bring you 7 years or 110k miles total?)

JustAddMtns

Jun 22, 2007
NC
I am actually scheduled to get my extended warranty on Thursday this week. I have to pay $180 for a 140 point inspection, then they are going to issue the warranty. I am not sure exactly what package I am going to get, but I was told the same as ROVERMAN. I was also told the LR is picking up the warranty contracts now and that is why the policy has changed a bit. It won't be a Great Lakes warranty.
I agree with statement re the $100 deductable.
________
Strawberry Cough Pictures

Last edited:

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
My dealer is LR of Rockville MD. I was quoted that price with a $100 deductible. We need to spread this information fast, otherwise many will be left without a warranty. :seeya:

G

gil stevens

whats your mileage?.. ive never heard that 5mo/5k thing before, i think they may have been trying to force a purchase.. and "suggested" retail on that program with $100 deductible is $2595.. which includes profit, so tell them another dealer quoted you that.

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
It only has 21000 miles and there was no pressure to buy it. Actually, the guy was very friendly and even showed me the book from where he was getting the quote. I guess the price went up as well, but I will check with a dealer in VA before doing anything.

M3Tony

Jul 26, 2007
Orlando and Daytona Beach
Is this the best route to go or are there other aftermarket warranties worth considering.

I just had mine in the shop and the rep never mentioned it... mine expires Dec 11 '07 and I am at 46k. I hope the 5mo/5k is not true. I am going to call later today

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
some have used great lakes but for major work they might put up a fight. i would go with actual LR policy, which is serviced by APCO, your coverage will be much more comprehensive, hopefully

DCloss

Aug 20, 2007
Hi all,

I've been researching extended warranties as well for my just-purchased 00 Disco SE.

Unless I'm mistaken, the LR Assured/APCO/Easy Care warranty (I believe these all refer to the same product) is only available if there's still a balance of factory warranty remaining. For those of us with no coverage, our choices are much more limited. I'm strongly considering a Great Lakes Warranty; I was quoted about $2700 for a 4-year/unlimited mile package that's pretty comprehensive (seals & gaskets, wear and tear clause, $75/hr max labor rate). It will also be based on a pre-warranty inspection, which I'm having done at an Indy shop here in Baltimore tomorrow morning.

After Great Lakes, I'm not sure there are many other options... at least none that I've found...

Dave

M3Tony

Jul 26, 2007
adriatic04 said:
some have used great lakes but for major work they might put up a fight. i would go with actual LR policy, which is serviced by APCO, your coverage will be much more comprehensive, hopefully

What do you mean, "put up a fight"? I thought the purpose of an extended warranty is for the major work... I don't want to pay thousands of dollars and have to haggle over a repair.

I'm waiting for my local LR rep to call me back... just left a vmail inquiring about an extended warranty. I called one aftermarket place and they quoted $4640... so the LR one comes across as a deal in comparison.

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
Stay the hell away from Great Lakes! My wife's DII has an extended warranty from a company called GS Administrators. Call Bear Valley Land Rover and ask them for contact information. It was pricey, but I have never had a problem with them...even when I had a repair made on a weekend, they have reimbursed me.

By the way, $2900 is money well spent!

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
It seems to me that the extended warrenty program available when you purchased the truck should be the one that they honor. How many people out there were told that they could extend the warrenty outside of 1000 miles when they purchased the rover? They can't just change the policy when customers were told one thing when they purchased the vehicle!:banghead:

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
M3Tony said:
What do you mean, "put up a fight"? I thought the purpose of an extended warranty is for the major work... I don't want to pay thousands of dollars and have to haggle over a repair.

I'm waiting for my local LR rep to call me back... just left a vmail inquiring about an extended warranty. I called one aftermarket place and they quoted $4640... so the LR one comes across as a deal in comparison.

i mean, the warranty company will put up a fight and not cover the charge, or they will take forever on a decision. yes the point is to get coverage for major things, but their point is to make money on you. trust me, if they can find a way out of covering a claim, they will. :banghead:

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
The possibility of having to "fight" to get repairs covered was one of my biggest concerns. That is why I wanted a warranty through Land Rover (not an after market warranty company).

My warranty was issued in June 2006 directly through Land Rover.
It is the Land Rover Assured Warranty.
Per my paperwork:
3 years or 75,000 miles.
$0 Deductible per repair visit
Coverage: LREXCL05 LR Exclusionary 05
$4868.50

They sent me an extended warranty booklet and a card.

I don't know if this is a factor in price.... but, my mileage was low when I bought the extended warranty (the time on my original warranty was running out). At the moment, I think my mileage is right around 22,000 and I have a 2002 Discovery... so I'm guessing my mileage was somewhere around 18,000(?) when the warranty was issued.

'Hope that helps.

M3Tony

Jul 26, 2007
I posted this in another warranty thread... thought I would share it here too...

Here is an update from my local dealer. I am at roughly 46k and have a little over a month remaining on my warranty. I've been to the dealer several times this year and honestly I am quite pissed my service rep never informed me about extending my warranty and fortunate that I discovered thru here that I need to act quickly to get it within the next few days.

Here's what I've been quoted:

7yr/85k.... $3750 w/ $100 deduct.
7yr/85k.... $3352 w/ $200 ded.
7yr/100k...$3995 w/ $100 ded.
7yr/100k...$3542 w/ $200 ded.

I figure on the 7yr/100k... w/ $100 ded. If I go 5 times in 3yrs the lower deductible pays for itself. I doubt I will reach 100k miles in 3 more years... but I can't predict the future and its only $245 dollars more for an additional 15k miles.

$4k just seems like so much to put down... I'm not the original owner, bought it back in April. If it was cheaper then to extend, I wish I would have known because I plan to keep this one for a very long time.

I do agree going with LR v. a different 3rd party co. I don't want any hassles or "fights" with the dealer.

expectthebest

Apr 13, 2005
Washington State
M3Tony said:
I posted this in another warranty thread... thought I would share it here too...

Here is an update from my local dealer. I am at roughly 46k and have a little over a month remaining on my warranty. I've been to the dealer several times this year and honestly I am quite pissed my service rep never informed me about extending my warranty and fortunate that I discovered thru here that I need to act quickly to get it within the next few days.

Here's what I've been quoted:

7yr/85k.... $3750 w/ $100 deduct.
7yr/85k.... $3352 w/ $200 ded.
7yr/100k...$3995 w/ $100 ded.
7yr/100k...$3542 w/ $200 ded.

I figure on the 7yr/100k... w/ $100 ded. If I go 5 times in 3yrs the lower deductible pays for itself. I doubt I will reach 100k miles in 3 more years... but I can't predict the future and its only $245 dollars more for an additional 15k miles.

$4k just seems like so much to put down... I'm not the original owner, bought it back in April. If it was cheaper then to extend, I wish I would have known because I plan to keep this one for a very long time.

I do agree going with LR v. a different 3rd party co. I don't want any hassles or "fights" with the dealer.

This may be a stupid question but does this mean extening the warrenty for 7 years and an additiona 100K or for a total of 7 years (4 years over the standard 3) and 100K (50K over the standard).

M3Tony

Jul 26, 2007
Rover Puppy said:
I think it is for 3 years (4 years of original warranty and 3 years of additional warranty=7 years).

Correct. Its 7 yrs total (from in service) or 100k total. So if your in service date is Nov 6, '03... then its extended until Nov 5, '10. This is the way I understand it.