drive shaft removal

Leigh

Apr 20, 2004
Chicago
D1 drive shaft removal

Are the tools mentioned in the bently manual needed to get this off? If not what can be used to remove the drive shaft? If so does anyone in the chicagoland area have them that I could borrow or rent?

Last edited:

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
I've done a D2 and all that I needed were a few wrences with extensions. Pretty easy job, I didn't use the any special tool that was called out in the shop manual.

D

D Chapman

The tool is super nice, and works well. But, it's not needed. Yet, if you come across one, you should get it! 4x4ag.com sells them.

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Did my shafts not too long ago. An absolute pain if you have sticky nuts (like mine were) :D . If you can get the tool, get it . It'll make life very simple. If you're not too carefull, you may end up damaging a nut with a spanner. When you do the job, replace all the nuts and bolts with new ones (for peace of mind) :)

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
I use vice on one side and a open end, well the close end wrench on the other. The Transfer case side is the hard one. I find it's easier to take the diff side out first then you can lift the shaft up so you don't have to rotate the trasfer case to get to all 4.

Do you have roto or u-joint? Roto easy to get out with sockets in the rear, u-joints I can't fit a socket on so the method above works.

Leigh

Apr 20, 2004
Chicago
Pb blaster since yesterday. All the nuts are out. I am trying to install the Atlantic British conversion to do away with the rotoflex. I am trying to remove the pinion flange at least I think thatis what it is called. They call for service tool LRT-51-008

B

barefoot

oh yes....the ole flange stud. sometimes they slide right out....sometimes they dont! that tool is basically a press to pop it off. you can build your own with an appropriatly sized socket, washer and bolt. i built a slide hammer to pull my first one off but neither one of these tricks worked on my second one....i ended up having to cut it out! good luck!

pjkbrit

Apr 23, 2004
while it's out, check the torque of your pinion nut...they can work loose leading to rear diff whine.

Leigh

Apr 20, 2004
Chicago
I will check that thanks for the heads up but I still have not gotten it out yet. I also may have a leak from the front of the diff anyone know what that might be

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
the trick is to get a slide hammer. go to checker/autozone and they rent them for a deposit fully refundable.

You put a screw in it and bang it out.

jrsimpson

Jan 3, 2006
Catonsville, MD
Centralizing peg puller

Leigh said:
I am trying to remove the pinion flange at least I think thatis what it is called. They call for service tool LRT-51-008

"Rear pinion flange centralizing peg"

It's an easy removal with the proper tool, e.g. LR service tool (or similar) or a slide hammer. I do not own a slide hammer yet, so I fabricated this puller from some scrap. Sorry for the blurry cellphone camera picture.

Attachments

• CenterPinPuller.jpg
    CenterPinPuller.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 253
D

drnknmnky13

pjkbrit said:
while it's out, check the torque of your pinion nut...they can work loose leading to rear diff whine.

Where is the pinion nut? What is the torque spec?

Thanks in advance :)

RichardS

May 2, 2005
Maryville, TN
That's such a great setup, I'm soo tempted to just say "on the pinion" :)

But here goes - Once you remove the driveshaft, then remove the centering pin discussed above, the pinion nut is visible. It holds the driveshaft yoke onto the end of the pinion.

You should grab one of the RAVE CDs with the workshop manual, it is really useful for even simple stuff like this. For example, it shows pictures of the assembly and gives the torque spec you are looking for - 130Nm for the pinion nut.