Crown Vic

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
Thanks for making my point. An 11 year old truck with 162K miles and they want $13K? really?

Yes, it is in very good shape, but what did that sell for in 2003? $27K? That's crazy.

And ones that aren't that nice still command $8-10K price tags.

[that is my favorite gen Taco too. Hence my frustration:mad:]

Edit: Here's a 2012 CPO with 48K miles for $20k. Makes more sense to buy a recent version.

The MDX is a totally different animal, but with two kids it fits our needs incredibly well.

Its a very nice, and reliable SUV. 2004, 117k miles, $8.5k

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/4746364765.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4733617790.html

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Thanks for making my point. An 11 year old truck with 162K miles and they want $13K? really?

Yes, it is in very good shape, but what did that sell for in 2003? $27K? That's crazy.

Edit: Here's a 2012 CPO with 48K miles for $20k. Makes more sense to buy a recent version.

It's an $11K truck realistically. But those kind of miles are nothing for a even moderately well maintained truck like that. When comparing LR to Toyota it's not apples to apples when considering mileage. I had a 1999 4Runner with 165K on it that was in really nice shape - drove perfect and not a speck of rust. Paid just under $5K for it and sold it for $6K a year or so later. The pickups appear to demand more money that's for sure and people pay it because as you know they are just damn good, reliable trucks that hold their value.

The upside to buying a Taco like the one I linked to is that you could drive it for a few years and it's not going to lose much value assuming you keep it in good shape. I'm trying to figure out what to buy next myself. Fortunately I get to drive a Hilux as my DD vehicle most of the time. It doesn't ride great and with a car seat in the back it wakes up the lil one far too easily.

PS: I was seriously considering a Vic after coming back from a driving school that had a fresh batch off the trailer. The GF said she would not been seen in it. Just mean.

Last edited:

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
I work with a fella that has a 97 Toyota 4runner with over 400k. Its had a starter an alternator a few timing belts brakes and tires i imagine its worth more than any Disco or RR from 1997

Reed Perry

Jun 19, 2005
City Of Oaks
Here's my cousins P71. It was a detectives car so no holes in the trunk, roof, or bumpers. Really clean car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 26

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
I checked with a friend in the auction scene. It seems taxi companies are buying all but the bottom of the barrel crown vics since they're out of production. They have fleets to keep running and auctions are the best source of them.

I guess I don't know how to find these auctions. I will have to dig around

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I guess I don't know how to find these auctions. I will have to dig around

He's likely referring to dealer auctions which the general public are not allowed to. Manheim, etc. Usually they have specific days and lanes for types of vehicles - Enterprise, Ford finance, "exotic", etc.

Buying from a dealer though is still typically a better option vs buying direct from an auction even if possible. You have more recourse with a dealer than you do with an auction typically. Unless you can get some killer deal, then.........

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
PS: I was seriously considering a Vic after coming back from a driving school that had a fresh batch off the trailer. The GF said she would not been seen in it. Just mean.

had 1 as a rental several years ago.
took me a while to figure out why everyone on the interstate moved to the right every time I came over a rise behind them.
Thought I was the po-po.

You could put 3 bodies in the trunk.
And not just children, either. Adults. Without even having to break legs to make them fit.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
He's likely referring to dealer auctions which the general public are not allowed to. Manheim, etc. Usually they have specific days and lanes for types of vehicles - Enterprise, Ford finance, "exotic", etc.

Buying from a dealer though is still typically a better option vs buying direct from an auction even if possible. You have more recourse with a dealer than you do with an auction typically. Unless you can get some killer deal, then.........

Public auction. Most Metro Phx agencies use Sierra Auctions in Phoenix. All types of cars/trucks plus construction equipment and unclaimed items from Police impound. I almost bought a American La France fire engine there. (why? because I could.)

I used to deliver vehicles from Discount Car Rental and Budget Rent a Car to a dealer only lot in Gilbert. Those were all rental cars sold for the manufacturer by the rental companies. Need a business license and probably an auto dealer's license to attend that one. (I forget the name of the place). a lot of those cars end up on dealer's lots "Ten 2013 PT Cruisers to choose from! Only $9,999!" a model year old and 30k miles.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I used to deliver vehicles from Discount Car Rental and Budget Rent a Car to a dealer only lot in Gilbert. Those were all rental cars sold for the manufacturer by the rental companies. Need a business license and probably an auto dealer's license to attend that one. (I forget the name of the place). a lot of those cars end up on dealer's lots "Ten 2013 PT Cruisers to choose from! Only $9,999!" a model year old and 30k miles.

Manheim and Adesa are the two big ones in the US. Both require dealer licenses to buy or sell. I remember when Mini Coopers came out and were pretty popular - all the Vegas strip rental companies came to Manheim, PA to get all the Minis. I had one for about 6 months. Never liked that car that much.

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
My Dad has a 2003 Grand Marquis (same thing just a Mercury) 296,000 miles on the odo original 4.6 motor just basic maintenance on it over the years. Comfortable as hell does alright in the winter and gets mid 20's on the highway.

Can't beat them for the price, probably one of the most durable cars Ford ever made.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN

Well, got a clean 2003 Extracab in white. 6 cyl SR5 with TRD (e-locker in rear), 156K miles.

It was $12k

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Holy crap!

So, I've been going over the truck. There was a light bulb out (side maker in the front). I'll go through fluids and filters, but I did a search for common issues. Here's what I found:

seat belt doesnt retract, rear springs open up (I fixed that with a couple of u-Bolts), can't read the clock.

That's about it.

I'm kind of at a loss...same age as my disco, 50% more miles (50K), but not nearly as a many issues. I don't know what to do with the truck...;-)

Although the headliner is sagging a bit, so I feel at home with that...