255/85/16 tire pressure?

Jamooche

Apr 20, 2004
Boston
www.jamilabbasy.com
I have 33" 255/85/16 tires on my D2. What tire pressure are you running for highway driving? I was told by my mechanic that 40 is a good pressure and we upped it to 43 because they were wearing more on the inside. But this past weekend a D90 guy with the same tires runs them at 30 with no wear issues. I am airing down to 20 for trails. What pressures do you run them at and any advice on how to decide.

Thanks for any help on the matter,
Jamil

R

rtiqulatendisco

I run 38-45psi(40 most of the time) on highway with normal wear. 16psi on some trails

A

AdrianS

An old fasion way is to draw a chalk line about an inch wide accross each tire tread and drive around a while. Then check to see where the line is worn out and add or remove air as needed untill the chalk line gets worn out evenly. This is what I used to do when I had 33" SS on my j**p. FWIW

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
jamil,

if you are wearing out the center, then you have to much air (ie over-inflated)

do as adrian suggests, chalk method works well.

S

Steve83

I always set them to 28 in front & 38 in back - that's close to what LR recommends for the happy medium between tread life, fuel economy, and ride quality.

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
I'm running 32 on the highway and 14-18 for off road (if needed). But, i think thats gonna' vary with the different brands of tires, bias or radial, vehicle weight etc.. but its a start.