Ford Fiesta, and why the HELL don't I own one?

Tysmagic

Mar 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
Definitely talking Fiesta ST to Focus ST comparison there. Base to base the Fiesta definitely is a quality buy. I believe the x-plan pricing puts a 2014 Fiesta S at around 13k flat.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Definitely talking Fiesta ST to Focus ST comparison there. Base to base the Fiesta definitely is a quality buy. I believe the x-plan pricing puts a 2014 Fiesta S at around 13k flat.

Power windows just weren't going to happen on the S. I'd go without them on something like my DII, but on a runabout, no fucking way.

I test drove the model with that 1.0L EcoBoost i3. Wow. That little fucker will get up and go. It hit 55mph easily in second gear on the highway, and there was plenty more where that came from.

This thing is no slouch. There's numbers, and then there's how something feels when you drive it. It felt fast. That's what matters. That little engine is pretty cool. That's the engine I'd want.

It's got great clutch feel for it's price range, as well. Just tight enough for everyday and even fun driving, without being tiresome. There could be improvement, but it's a cheap car. How much can you ask for?

The ride quality was the most impressive thing about it, though. That bitch was surprisingly smooth. I went straight for the worst road in town, and came away no worse for wear. It's at least as comfortable as cars costing twice as much.

The quality of the interior was outstanding. I expected it to be good "for a cheap car". Fuck that. it's good for cars in general. They weren't screwing around. I don't like some of that overly proprietary switch nonsense, but whatever. At least it had common sense climate control.

Oh... About that... The real reason some like us drool over the occasional American vehicle...

Air conditioning! Oh. My. God. THAT was nice as hell. That thing blows harder than a truck stop prostitute, and the air gets fucking cold.

It was quiet, as well. It felt heavy in cruising, and light in spirited driving. They've really got that chassis sorted out.

This is a genuinely good car, never mind the price and efficiency. It's no econobox.

Now, I've driven these before, but this is the first time I've driven one before a potential purchase. I was very impressed, and that tiny little engine is the cat's fucking ass.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Remember the Ford Fiesta from the late 70s?

No, yet, do remember them from the late 90s.

My wife had one while we were living in Tokyo - RHD with a manual.

Had the soft retractable roof too.

Bought it for like $800.00 and just gave it to my neighbor when we left.

No problems with it at all in the 5 years we owned it.

Tysmagic

Mar 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
which is the better deal -

1. x-plan or
2. Ford Expat plan with IAS

Thx

Expat sounds like you would get A-plan pricing which is the best it gets, so I'd say option 2! Keep in mind you can still get full rebates with either plan. A lot of dealers will hold out the rebates on special pricing plans.

Tysmagic

Mar 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
to give you exact numbers, looks like a plan price is 12,400ish for a base model fiesta...there's not a lot of room in those things as is so the plan advantages don't make too much a difference.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
to give you exact numbers, looks like a plan price is 12,400ish for a base model fiesta...there's not a lot of room in those things as is so the plan advantages don't make too much a difference.

I'm looking at an SE right now, 5 speed, with the SE EcoBoost Fuel Economy package. Basically an SE with that three cylinder engine.

It's showing the subtotal as $17,400, with a net at $16,900, after that $500 cash incentive. I suppose I don't need that engine, but I really fucking liked it. It's also got power windows.

So, if you have any idea how much that would be, I'm all ears. Perhaps the X price would come close to the MSRP of the base model?

Cheers,

Kennith

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
If I remember right, the x-plan was for FORD employees and others "close" to them, yet, good to see it is still out there.

When we came back from Tokyo purchased a 2001 Escape with the ExPat plan. Awesome deal so also great to see it's still being offered.

From my side, not only is the vehicle pretty cool FORD as a company dissed the Feds and that has merit in my book.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
exactly my point. And driving a nice e30 is very rewarding.

I've already got another fun car, and I don't want a fucking BMW. I'd buy a 911 if I wanted to get all old and German. Everyone has a damned E30.

That doesn't mean a used car is out, but I'd be getting something like an AE86 or it's Celica variant, or even another Nissan/Datsun 720 if I went that route.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
yes, but, how long has it been since you have had that new car smell in your nose???

Hmmm...

I bought the DII new, so... 2001?:rofl:

It's been a while. I figured I wouldn't bother getting a new car again, but if something's cheap enough it's not as big a deal. Even depreciation can't go too far on something like this.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Exactly!

The Polo buy reminded me how nice a day it is when picking it up and driving a new something.

Eco turbo, leather, and anything else you throw at it still makes it a worthwhile deal.

Ours will be red for sure!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
yes, but, how long has it been since you have had that new car smell in your nose???
Every fucking time I get into a rental. And I hate it.

Kennith - the E30 was an example, pick your particular poison of choice.
The point was that, for the price of a brand new econobox... never mind.