Tent options for Safety Devices Roof Rack

K

kfristoe

I've been looking for tent options for my Safety Devices Roof Rack on my 2000 D2. I've seen some of the Hannibal fold out products but since I don't have a Hannibal Rack I don't know about compatibility issues. Does anyone have a tent option on thier Safety Device Rack? Any friendly advice?

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
It depends on how many you're looking to sleep up there.

For one person, this is my favorite setup.

It's easy to set up, very comfortable, and you don't lose the utility of roof rack storage for things like Pelican cases or Jerry cans.

Mr.Burns71

May 26, 2004
Washington
I'd have to agree with Craig. I saw it in action this past weekend at Pismo Beach and it looked quite convenient. Doesn't take a lot of room on the rack or in back and you have the option of on the "ground" sleeping as well.

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
Craig, you showoff. I am going out to set up my new tentcot up on the rack just so I can take a picture. Of course, a driveway pic is probably not going to achieve the coolness factor I would be shooting for. BTW, pretty sweet picture. :cool:

Rob

S

Snwbord24

The transmission is fine actually. The dealer didn't put enough fliud in it at the 30k service. The high rpm's in the dunes foamed up the fluid to the point that it wasn't any good anymore. When it cooled off it would work for a little while but as soon as the rpm got to anything driveable it was done. It was towed to Santa Barbara, the fluid and filter were replaced and it was towed back here to Monterey. None of it cost me a dime. Sure wish I'd had my torx bit set with me. I could have checked the fluid myself and found out what the problem was. A dipstick would have helped too, but it doesn't have one. I could have been back in the dunes playing that day. Oh well, cost nothing but time.

Rob would have to set his and his wife's up, but it would still be a poser driveway shot. :D

F18Guy

Mar 30, 2004
Down by the big rock
Yo Craig,

Do they make one of those for us....you know......larger folks :D

Another question, is that thing bolted to the roof rack....just in case....high winds...earthquake?

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I am highly against the tent cot. It's of like K-mart quality, or a better analogy would be it's like the rav-4 of tents. Small dinky, lots of poorly sewn seams.

go with a traditional tent that will fit the foot print of the rack. you will have to surf various webistes to find the proper size, or skim thru the old archives and you will find information on tents that fit. i think the dims are something like 48" x 78" For ease try to find a tent that has a door that can face the rear of the truck, this way you can walk up the rear ladder and inside. also if the tent is a little oversize the poles should bend in allowing it to still fit.

Rob

S

Snwbord24

Anyone have any experience with the double tent cot? I've seen the single but not the double in person. If it's sturdy then it might be pretty sweet.

N

ntantcr

double tent cot

Snwbord24 said:
Anyone have any experience with the double tent cot? I've seen the single but not the double in person. If it's sturdy then it might be pretty sweet.

Shane, I recently got the double Tent Cot, and I really like it. It feels fairly sturdy with two people in it (combined weight of about 250lbs), and I think it's good for up to 450lbs. It easily fits on my roof rack, comes with a storage bag, and works great in wet conditions with the Rainfly.

Sharkman

Jul 30, 2004
Michigan
design change

The TC pictured on the Cabelas site looks differant then Kobys?? Did the design change..more support bars on the ends? Will it still fit on the rack?

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
I don't know why that single tent cot has the support legs at the ends. They aren't necessary to hold my weight, so I don't really care.

I would have gone with a tent like Rob suggests, but the problem with the stepped Disco roof was more than I wanted to deal with.

Also, I can easily set up the tent cot in a couple of minutes, in the dark and after a few beers. I dread that scenario with a dome tent on my roof rack.

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
Koby,

Sweet pic. I agree, a dome tent can be a pain. Meg and I set up the tent cots in the dark, for the first time in about 5 minutes at Pismo Beach. If you are worried about leaks (which with the rain fly don't seem to occur) than put some seam seal on the seams. I used to do that even with my old North Face four season backpacking tent (cause nothing sucks worse than spending night out in the middle of nowhere cold and wet). I don't care who the manufacturer is, seams leak unless you take care of them.