New shocks???

D

DiscoOrd

I have a 2001 Disco w/60k and the ride seems a bit wobbly. How do you diagnose if she needs new shocks? And, are the bilsteins preferred over any other? Thanks in advance.

Disco007

Apr 25, 2004
Columbia, Missouri
Ome

Are you looking to modify your disco or replace with OEM? Check out any Rover parts website and you will find enought info. I prefer the Old Man Emu set-up, but on the other hand Rovertym has a good deal too.

C

cmondieyoung

Bilsteins are OK, but the ride is a lot harsher than OME.

I'd just go ahead and get the full OME setup, the ride is MUCH better than stock, even with the lift. Rover's OEM shocks are terrible--- just the oil bath type that have been around since Henry Ford --- versus the nitro-charged OME.

(Are the OEM shocks on D2s the same as on D1s? I figured they were... )

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
Bilsteins, definitely! I replaced the original woodheads at 77k on my 96 D1 (now has 108k mi) with Bilsteins and I think they are great! Also if the truck is a bit wobbly you might check out your bushings as well. I think they usually wear out at the same time the shocks do. But that's just my impression, I'm not an expert.

Chris

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
Bilsteins are OK, but the ride is a lot harsher than OME.
Hmmmm. I wonder what model Bilstein you had on your truck?

If you consider Bilstein, look to the 6100 or 7100 series shocks and consider a minimum 360/80 valving front, 400/100 rear as starting points.

Leigh

Apr 20, 2004
Chicago
I replaced the oem woodhead shocks at 60k. They were shot I put on 5 bilstiens and have had no problems since I now have 130k. The ride is a bit harsh but I do not have a problem with it. When I put these on in 1998 I did not know about the OME but I have heard great things about them. The bilstiens do have a lifetime warrenty that was one of the reasons I went with them.
Good Luck
Leigh

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Shoot, my stock shocks lasted maybe 20k and were leaking horribly.