Goodyear Wrangler MT/R on stock wheels/suspension?

N

NorCalDisco

Hi all -

Any comments on Goodyear Wrangler MT/R on stock wheels/suspension? I'm looking for winter/light off-roading tire set that will fit without any issues. The size is 245/75R16, which I believe equates to a 30.5" (or 31" for this particular tire). Anyone running this tire right now? It comes stock on Jeep Rubicon (which I played with many times) and seems to work fine for that truck.

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
im a real fan of the MT/R's i run 245/75/16's on my DI and they are great!!!

but on my DI w/ OME suspension i had to cut the rear fenders...

well actually i didnt cut them at first... i went wheeling and managed to "tear" the fenderwells... upon returning home i cut them now everthing fits nicely

peter

Jun 18, 2004
also your going to have to adjust your steering because they well rub the radius arms, and cut the rear fenders.

paulc

Apr 20, 2004
New Westminster, BC Canada
I don't think the 245's do rub the radius arms on a series 2 Disco. They do rub slightly on the left side of my D1, but I've also spent a lot of time this year trail driving a Disco 2 with 245's & I don't recall the tires rubbing at all.

N

NorCalDisco

Pictures/More comments

Any more comments the MTRs - winter's coming and I'd hate to order tires that won't fit! ;)

Also, how about the MTRs that fit the 19' Range Rover rims, 255/55R19? They are sold in Canada and UK, but not in the US. Anyone has any info or pictures of these? Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Discodon

Those tyres really are very good. Road noise is minimal for an aggressive tread and their performance offroad is quite commendable. Not quite as good as BFG (my opinion only) but the quality of the tire is right up there with the best of them.

As for the size you mention, I agree that steering stops would need re-adjusted and a small trimming of the rear arches would be required - just in case.

I don't think anyone would be dissapointed with choosing this tire.

S

Snwbord24

I run 265/75R16's on my DII with a 3" OME lift. It's a bigger tire than the 245/75R16 and I didn't have to adjust my steering stops. I didn't with my 2" lift either. I think that the 245 would be fine on a stock DII without adjusting the steering stops.

N

ntantcr

I'd recommend avoiding the 255/55R19 Goodyear MTRs if you can... they're still great tires, but in that size they don't have enough sidewall and are VERY expensive and impossible to replace, in addition to being damn near impossible to get in the US. Trade in for 18"s or as has been suggested, use 16"s; your wallet will thank you and you won't have to worry about the sidewall as much on trails.

D

discoverover

I decided on the 245 75 16 size for my 96' D1. I wanted the same balance of off-road and on-road capability because it is my daily driver. I found that almost all the 245 75 tires are load range E or 10 ply because this is the stock work truck size made to hold major loads. 10 ply tires are very heavy and stiff and thats why 6 ply is better for a more stock vehicle. I have Maxxis buckshot mudders in this size and they are a 6 ply, and have been perfect on and offroad. They are a mud tire but a little more road worthy than other mud terrains. The rubber compound is soft but resilient and the tread blocks are wider than a BFG MT. I think they are worth a look for your situation. I had to trim the rear fenders slightly and adjust the bump stops, but I believe a DII should have even less problems if any. Dave