engine stutter

D

dent

when driving at constant speeds, the engine stutters and feels like there's not enough gas getting to the engine (almost like my fuel pump is about to go). If I floor the gas it'll be fine accelerating then when i cruise at a constant speed again, it stutters. Also when I take my foot off the gas and ease into the peddle again, it's fine until i go at a constant speed.
Check engine light came on and these are the codes I got P1193 (ERG Drive Overcurrent), P0003, P0008. Any help or suggestions where I should start to trouble shoot this?
take care
sam

D

dent

are the downstream sensors before or after the cat.. am assuming it's after the cat but want to make sure...
thanks
sam

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Sam,
Yes downstream means after the cats, upstream means before the cats. (upstream connect behind the distributor cap)..With the stutter, I would try the fuel filter first, then replace the cats upstream first then replace the downstream later, and then the fuel pump. Lastly, look at the VSS and the spark plug wires. They too can cause a stutter with the engine or maybe the engine mounts.
I hope that this helps!!
Melissa
1998 D1 72k miles

D

dent

posting this as an update incase someone else has this same problem in future.
did some digging around on the P1193 and the land rover specific is HO2S Heater Circuit Inferred Open Circuit, Downstream Sensors. I just recently got new pipes and muffler from the Y back and am thinking this might be the cause of the problem. Took the trunk for a drive and was monitoring the O2 sensors and like usual, problem didn't occur. I've reset the codes and am going to be driving with the computer hooked up to monitor the O2 sensor incase it comes back. Maybe the cause was the new pipes and new muffler and needed a chance to 'get use' to the new pipes? I doubt this is the case but will see.
Also the VSS seems fine per sensor monitor
sam

R

rogue_roverus

Did you ever find out what the problem was for sure? My 1998 Discovery is doing the same thing at constant freeway speeds, from time to time.

Thanks,

Jason

D

D Chapman

My truck was doing the same thing. I replaced the VSS, and fuel filter, but the plugs and wires were new. Come to find out the wires were jumping sparks to the valve cover and the bracket the holds the coils packs to the engine. I sandes and cleaned all the grounds on the engne to the frame, but that did not help. I replaced the wires, again, and all is well.

It's simple to check and see if this is your problem. Just pull your truck into a dark garage and look for very small blue sparks jumping off the wires. Be sure to look at it for a few minutes, because, at lease for me, it takes a while for your eyes to adjust. Also, lisen for a ticking sound.

D

dent

was a downstream O2 sensor that was dead.. replace the bad one and the truck is back to it's usual oil spilling self :)
sam