Break Pads: OEM or Generic

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
Many people have complained about generic pads. They often squeak, but performance wise, I'm sure there's very little difference.

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
brake ease, the stuff that goes on the back of the pad to balance out the harmonics stop any squeaking. I have OEM and they work great, a little sloppy because of all the weight i have but with brake ease OEM pads are just as good.

Cheers

Jack

andrewv

This same subject was up just before the transition was being made. Some were mentioning Mintex and others as an alternative to OEM. I made the comment that we change Disco brakes 5-10 times a week, and we've had to change 80% of the Mintex jobs to OEM. We end up eating the labor when this happens, so I won't use anything but OEM anymore.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I think you desire the standard brake pads, LR issue. I am pretty sure that you want a soft pad, not a long lasting one. Reason being that the pad will wear rather than your rover rotor which is pretty thin as fars as rotors go. I believe that the pads are lockheed. Cheers, Brian

O

Off Road Disco

I think Ferodo is the OEM for the D2 pads and I've been very happy with them.

K

kkngtgr

How about EBC?

I've received the brake pads and rotors from Tire rack, heard very good thing about this green stuff pads, (if only they weren't green, anyways, I tried to replace them last weekend, and to my surprize I could no even move the lug nutz not even a milimiter, it seems like they have like a cover that kinda moves, is this right :confused: ? how do you remove the wheel on a 96 Disco? I almost went crazy I even bent the lug wrench, or should I just go to a service station and get them to loosen the lugs? Cheers
-Marco

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
covers belong there. socket/lug wrench just goes over top. go out and buy a nice solid breaker bar and a 1 1/16" deep socket (think that is the right size).

had same problem when i first got truck. couldn't get them off, even with breaker bar. had shop take em off, then i tightened them back up. now i keep breaker bar and socket in truck as my lug wrench.

K

kkngtgr

Thanks guys

Note taken first thing to do tomorrow after work stop by at the shop, then to get the braker and the socket. really thank you guys

S

Spyder

Is there such a thing as vented rotors for a D1? OEM look pretty thin I agree.

K

kkngtgr

Lol

I got the dimpled slotted ones, they are supossed to be good, I'll let you know as soon as I can get them on

T

Tony23007

Brake Pads

I was told by my dealership that OEM parts squeek because of the material they used to make them. Having said that when it was time for me to change mine I went with a generic brand because the dealership had already gotten too much of my money. I bought my pair at NAPA and I been happy with them. So far they have lasted me longer than my original LR part. Always make sure to check your Rotor while your in there, and change the brakes in pairs!!!!!

Peterb

Apr 23, 2004
Philadelphia Pa.
Do what Bri says, I found that over a period of time by brakeing was suffering, I had to replace the front rotors, and took the pads purchased from **** and tossed them, Went with OEM, Good ever since.

S

steelheader

I put Ferodo's in (OEM was told) and they squeaked. Probably mostly from dust. I used the pad gunk on the backs and everything quieted down. I use Mintex pads on my Audi and they are definitely more aggressive (and dirty!) but I swap rotors when I do the brakes. They are cheap and a lot less work to get off than the Rover's.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
yes. what some people keep forgetting is that Ferodo, Mintex, PBR, Lucas (which are Mintex) and others ARE OEM. almost ALL OEM pads on Rovers were Mintex until '02 or '03. i forget now. i bet much still is, but i can't say with certainty.

like i said OE on all DIs was Mintex.

brakes squeel because MOST of the time they are not broken in properly or they don't use the supplied shims, backing pads or antisqueel goo on the backs of the pads.

i can't remember ever having a rover squeel with pads that i have installed. and i have used Mintex 90% of the time. there might be something freakish about DIIs, but i would not hesitate to use any good generic off the shelf brand. installed properly they all seem to work as they should.

people get too wrapped up in the name game or 'genuine' deal. stick with a good brand and if it works..........it works.