Connector box location for CB install

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
Getting ready to install a CB (Cobra 75 WX ST) and wondering where people placed the connector box. The box appears to be relatively small and wondering if I should place under the driver seat or maybe at the passenger feet on the fire wall.

Also, what wires did you tie into for power? I was thinking an accessory 12 volt source that will turn off the CB when the Disco is turned off. I thought about a constant 12 volt source but afraid if I forgot to turn the CB off, it will drain the car battery.

O

Off Road Disco

You may get too much noise from the 12v outlet. Your best bet is a run to the battery.

Ray Wallace

Apr 19, 2004
Northern California
I took the power for mine from the cigarette lighter, but I did have to put a noise suppressor inline to eliminate the faint "engine RPM" background noise. Suppressor was about $12 at Radio Shack.

wolfman

Apr 23, 2004
Maryland
I get LOTS of noise from cig. lighter power - drives me crazy. Best to get power directly from battery. Check out Expedition Exchange for how they did it, I think it might be the same radio not sure though.

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
Expedition Exchange has the exact same CB but they only show how they mounted the antenna and not the actual CB. I guess a could ask John or Ho for some pictures.

W

wei

I mounted mine under the passenger seat by tieing it to the seat rails. Originally I was hoping to install it under the dash but 18ft of cable was a tad too short for me due to the way I routed it through the body panels.

I also mounted a small external speaker under the seat so this setup was very convenient.