Oil leak

S

Snwbord24

I've had my 2003 DII since Sept of 2002. Problems I've had I didn't inflict myself offroad:
ABS modulator (maybe my fault from my "submergence" incident)
Drivers door window motor failed

That's pretty much it. I've had the whole front axle rebuilt as well, but that went because the ETC wasn't working due to the bad modulator. No oil leaks after 45K either.

utahdog2003

Apr 20, 2004
North Florida
Stansell hit the nail on the head..."My mother-in-law had to have her transmision replaced in her 2003 Honda Accord a couple of months ago after only 18k miles. The problem is, that LR owners are often also enthusiasts who go to websites like this and see everyone elses problems." My mother's Acura has a broken trunk latch, a soft clutch, and a failing sunroof motor

I know my DII (one of the dreaded 2003s) aint a Toyota! Hell I got rid of a Toyota to get the DII!! Why would I kick one of the most reliable vehicles to the curb to buy a DII?Here's why...One of my biggest gripes with the Toy was the network of aftermarket products and clubs and such stink! TTORA is a joke, loaded with KC hilites, whip antenas, Calvin taking a leak on Chevy/Ford/Dodge/NASCAR stickers, lift-blocks and black plastic headlight covers (singlehandedly THE number 1 stupidest automotive product ever!) The only site for Tacos worth a damn was www.frankentaco.com and that poor guy has swapped out 90% of the Toyota parts to get where he is!

Point is...LR owners better know where the dipstick is because if you aren't checking over your truck you're asking for it. And when it goes it will cost some bucks, we will all hear about it here, or on the trail, or at a club meet or wherever. When your Honda breaks down, you just drive it to Sears or some shit, and dump the credit card.

First thing I did when I bought the DII was to buy oil/filter and put together a tool kit...as I am now the proud owner of A British Car.

ScoutII, your maintenance and repairs, as well as the loaner, are included in the waranty. Check your terms.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
""My mother's Acura has a broken trunk latch, a soft clutch, and a failing sunroof motor"" Can we say cosmetic?? And before you start to rip my ASS a new one why do you not go to my post on the FTS and read over it.. I know more about my LR than I know about myself... I have talked to well over 25 LR mechanic(s) in the past two weeks trying to figure out my problem, If they can not figure it out who the F*** CAN???? FYI: THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE MYSELF IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS = This is what I have done to try and remedy the issue on my 1998 D1 == Fuel Filter Replaced/Fuel Pump Replaced/Spark plugs replaced/battery replaced MT-34/Battery cables replaced/Alt = just under 13.89V/Starter = 11.99V/Ran Sea Foam thru the engine. There is an apparent problem with the fuel rails/lines some where (the rails have adequate pressure2.5 bars).. And I have come to the conclusion that the problem is electrical (sensor of some sort) due to the intermittent problem.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
LOL. I sincerely crack up when I read these posts. Who in the world went out and bought a LAND ROVER thinking they were reliable? Has the Great Green Oval EVER been at the top of ANY reliability list?

People, these are high-maintenance "enthusiast" vehicles. Especially if you have a 2004 or earlier. If you bought your Rover for reliable tramsportation you probably made a mistake and need to get rid of it.

:cool:

S

Sergei

Its all about having sense of humor about those trucks. Wiked humor, but still humor.

"-I would like to register a complaint about parrot that i purchased no more than hour ago from this very boutique.
- Oh yes, Norwegian Blue, lovely plumage, isnt it?" :)

Last edited:

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
I should have listened to my father... I repeat the "LR IS A MECHANICAL NIGHTMARE...." After watching him cuss/curse for hours over his 10 + plus Land Rover's owned I should have known better. I am so ignorant sometimes.. Oh well I had to learn for myself. Sergie I sent you an email.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Melissa,

what exactly did you mean by "will not start again?"
Does it crank?

It happened to me once - the 96 D1 would crank as long as you wanted, but wouldn't start.
If I dis- and re-connected the battery, it would start immediately. My wife had to drive around for a month with a 13mm wrench at hand (to undo the battery terminal).

After four days and $311 at local LR dealer, and a suggestion to replace the ECU (at a $2200 tab), I traced the fault to TWO blown fuses. These were fuses that, among other things, fed 12V to the spider alarm box. I've replaced both and the problem went away for a while; then, one of them blew again (the fuse that feeds 12V to the door locks). I replaced that with a circuit breaker, and the problem never appeared again - in more than two years and ~40kmi.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Peter: Thank you but I checked all the fuses just now. They are ok none of them are blown. I disconnected/reconnected the battery and it still wont start. It just cranks and cranks and cranks but will not start. It is so bad I just had to push it into the street (PLEASE SOMEBODY STEAL IT)!!! There is plenty of fuel @ the fuel rails the shrader valve sprayed fuel everywhere so its ok. Started fine this morning.. when it was cold ~ heats up then it will not start again. I will do anything @ this point to make it start. I just called the local stealer - they do not have the parts in stock (the FTS and the Coolant Temp sensor). Those are the only things that I can think of....left to replace.

S

Sergei

Eeek..
1. it cranks happily?
2. is fuel pump runs (wzzzzt sound as you turning key)
3. did you check fuses under the hood?
4. is it pushing acceleration pedal help it to start
5. did you happen to try to use seafoam before it started to act?
7. can you verify that battery is ok? (yes its stupid but it does happen)

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
RoverChic said:
It just cranks and cranks and cranks but will not start. It is so bad I just had to push it into the street (PLEASE SOMEBODY STEAL IT)!!! There is plenty of fuel @ the fuel rails the shrader valve sprayed fuel everywhere so its ok.

I would still suspect the spider box... An oscilloscope with needle probes would show you if injectors receive pulses from ECU and ignition is okay; you can also unscrew one of the spark plugs and both (a) smell if there's gasoline vapors coming from the spark plug hole, and (b) connect the ignition lead to the spark plug, put the outer shell of the plug tightly against the intake plenum, and see if there's spark there.
NOTE!!! - if you do that, make sure the fuel vapors don't get near the spark plug while being tested!

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Peter ..I think you are correct

Discovery MFi-V8 Symptom 1
""Engine cranks but does not start, fuel pump MAY not operate. Breakdown services diagnose non start caused by weak or no spark. There can be a history of intermittent non-start. GAS CONVERSION VEHICLES CAN SUFFER OCCASIONAL DAMAGING BLOWBACKS WHEN RUNNING ON GAS."" Sergei found this link for me: http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/rrdisco.html

So I have to buy a new ECU? Or you fixed it by replacing the ECU? Now the fuel pump has stopped running too...I can crank away but the Rover will still not start @ this point it is not a sensor...Something has gone hay~wire.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I forgot where the spider box was - IIRC, somewhere in the glovebox area.
The spark you can check easily, without any diagnostic equipment.
Before you go on a limb and buy a new ECU, try to find a "known-good" one. Fortunately for me, I had one at hand, so I ruled out ECU failure immediately.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
So the Disco has been sitting for over 5+ hours now in the street ..(nobody wanted to steal it??) And guess what it started right up .. pulled it into the driveway. Stopped it tried to start it agian..And no start. Crank..Crank Crank... No start. FWIW The rover is for sale becuase I no longer have the ability to handle this ..

Str0ud

Apr 20, 2004
Iowa
RoverChic said:
I should have listened to my father... I repeat the "LR IS A MECHANICAL NIGHTMARE...." After watching him cuss/curse for hours over his 10 + plus Land Rover's owned I should have known better. I am so ignorant sometimes.. Oh well I had to learn for myself. Sergie I sent you an email.

Quitting that easy? There is a reason your father has had 10 + plus Land Rovers.

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Ha Ha .. That is funny Stroud! Daddy also make(s) a 6 figure + salary (so he can afford the $3K repair bills) .. His daughter on the other hand is still in law school ;) You want to buy it stroud ?? Its for sale !!!

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Jay - thanks for catching my little nuance there.

Melissa - get the damn thing fixed. If you had something like...oh maybe obd-2.com's software and connector it would likely tell you for sure what you issue is. Granted, I have been thinking ECU from the moment you posted, but you will never know for sure unless you hook up to the ECU. BTW - I have seen the 14CUX ECU for $125-$150 if you look in the right places.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Ho has a point here. Not that anyone asked what kind of money your dad makes, but since we now have an idea lets discuss your families situation. The term "six figures plus" equates into real-world dollars of around $100K gross and maybe $70K net before savings and incedentals. This is not a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

With you in law school and presumably not having a scholarship (remeber - you have a Rover:)) you are adding to thier burden at a rate of about $30K+ a year. This leaves your folks only $40K a year to live on...assuming you are an only child. I could go on, but you can see the direction I am going here.

You need to sell that POS of yours before you drive your parents into the poor house. In the end just know that this is supposed to be about having fun. If you are not accomplishing that then the rig should go to someone who can:)