18" Meats...Options?

D

DH1

Hello, first post on DWeb. I recently purchased a 2004 D2 from a dealer here in VA. I searched the forum but didn't see much on replacement tires for the 18" wheels (I did note quite a bit of 'disappointment' in the stocker Goodyears). Anyway, what are the options for an unlifted Disco on 18's? When my tires go TU, I'd like to purchase something with a little more aggressive tread, something to make it a little more capable off the road. I'll lift it eventually (and likely go to 16"), but probably not before the next set of meats. Thanks for any help.

Andrew Homan

Jun 7, 2004
Alaska
Have you looked at other web sites such as tire rack or the other discount tire places. You may end up going with 16" wheels anyway. ;)

Oh ya welcome to Disco web. this is a great source of info. Sorry you couldn't find anything in your search. :(

PhishinRover

Mar 11, 2005
Sweet Home Alabama
Not many options for an unlifted DII in the 18 other than nitto. You need to go to a 16 in order to get an aggressive tire. I'm having the same problem and have decided to go to a 16.

sean

Sep 28, 2004
u can get a used set of 16 and a decent pair of offroad tires less than a decent set of 18" tires will run u. most of them are not rated high enough for load rating, u can find the cheaper tires for passenger cars but only the higher end ones can handle our weight. michelin goodyears or pirelli scorpions r the only decent rated ones i can find for the rangie, and there is no way i would ever get another set of goodyears. the bad news is michelin no longer lists any tires on there webpage that will work on our trucks.
16" perform so much better than 18's offroad even with the same make and style tire

Ho

Staff member
even for road, i prefer the 16s. cushier ride.

i'd start looking for some used 16 incher alloys. if your tires are still fairly new, you should go check your local used car lot. see if they have a used disco in the lot, wearing 16 inch wheels. offer them straight swap for your 18s. lots of people i know have done that.

sean

Sep 28, 2004
not bad they have a good load rating 120s, speed rating is a little lower but better than my bfg's
still no sidewall flex and airing down is not a great idea. kinda ruins a offroad tires ability. my 16's with worn out michelins performed better offroad than the new 18" michelins, still never made it to the top of the climb till i got bfg's :D

Loydster

Apr 20, 2004
You can get long trails for your rig in a slightly bigger size to go on your 18s for $58 right now thru tire rack. they have a lower speed rating but a higher load rating than the stock goodyear.

goodyear 1984lbs max load
bfg 2271lbs max load

I run the long trails on the street and dunlop mud rovers on the trail.

sean

Sep 28, 2004
loyd for which tires? stock 255/18 goodyears and michelins and 255/16 109h(2271lb), long trails are 109t (2271lb), bfg's 255/16 are 115q (2679lb) and 265x75 are 120s (3086lb)

Last edited:

Loydster

Apr 20, 2004
Loydster said:
You can get long trails for your rig in a slightly bigger size to go on your 18s for $58 right now thru tire rack. they have a lower speed rating but a higher load rating than the stock goodyear.

goodyear 1984lbs max load
bfg 2271lbs max load

I run the long trails on the street and dunlop mud rovers on the trail.

The goodyear is the oem replacement listed on tire rack. goodyear wrangler hp 255/55/18
The bfg is a 265/60/18 radial long trail.

SLloyd

Mar 2, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Get the Nittos

The Goodyear HPs that are OEM are absolutely horrible. Worst tire I have ever owned. And I believe the comments listed on TireRack support that.

I got the Nittos and have been very happy.

D

DH1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm torn between going 16" asap and waiting. Looking at the Nitto site, they offer their Terra Grappler tire in a 285/60/18. I found this size intriguing as it is somewhere between 245 and 265/75/16. Does anyone believe you could run this (31.38" diameter) tire on a D2 w/o rubbing? My guess is that you would definitely have to tweak the steering stops and more than likely would have fender/wheel well rubbing when flexed. Comments?

kmkii

Apr 20, 2005
West Jordan, UT
I have Nitto's

I have the Terra Grapplers 260/85/18's on my '02 D2. No rubbing in normal use, no need to adjust anything for normal everyday stuff. As I get out wheelin' I have found that we are gonna need about a 2" lift to get everything back the way it should be. I have encountered a bit of rubbing on some fairly *tame* trails. I have also noticed some less than favorable braking consequences to having the larger tires on there. They also ran me about a grand for all 5 tires...they did give me about $100 credit for my unused Wranger HP spare :D

If I had it to do over again, I would get 16" steel wheels and some different Tires. The Nitto's seem to be doing fine as far as wear and everything else, just may be a touch too big without a lift.

Last edited:
D

DH1

What type of wheels come on the G4? I've seen a couple of pictures and, judging from the tires mounted and peoples comments, they are 16" but they look similar to the LR3 wheels (18" I believe). Where does one get a set of these? Call me superficial, but I like the look of these wheels much better than the standard 16" alloys.