Truetrac

Knut

Apr 21, 2004
I know you should install HD axles with a Detroit Locker. Does this also hold true with a Truetrac? Since this is a limited slip, is it safe to assume it would cause less torque and twisting of the axles?

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
If you are using a TT correctly it will be able to send as much torque to an axle as a DT. I would recommend HD axles still. Stock LR axles are way too weak to put large tires on and offroad with.

jeepfiend

Apr 20, 2004
Southeast Idaho
Have there really been that many broken Disco axles? What is the diameter of the shaft? I could see it on the D2's, but the D1's are a full floater and that is a pretty tough setup. I don't have a locker in mine, but it will happen eventually (if I can ever get it away from the wife, that will probably require a Range Rover for her). All that axle has to carry is the torsional load, I am surprised there are problems. I know a locker greatly increases the forces on the axles, but in general, full floaters are tough. Just curious. The Disco is still a DD for the wife, but when she gets a new rig, the disco will be mine (insert evil laugh here :D )

Knut

Apr 21, 2004
I'm just curious because I can't remember reading about recommending installing HD axles if you install a Truetrac.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Jeepfiend: You're right, the Discovery full floater axles are super duper! You should do a test and throw a Detroit in and keep the stock axles and see how long they last.

One of your future posts will be: "How do I remove the broken axle piece that is stuck in the diff?" or "How can I repair my broken Detroit?"

Or you can take the advice of people that have been down that road before and do it right the first time.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
... as much torque as Detroit

Steve,

first, it isn't quite so; second, sending 100% of torque to a single axleshaft doesn't break it. But, repetitive stress will work harden the shaft, causing it to break eventually. This effect is nearly inexistent with a TrueTrac.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Peter, I disagree regarding how the axles break, at least the stock axles. The stock axle that I saw break wasn't because of any kind of repetitive stress causing work hardening. When my brother broke his axle, it was about 10 days after installing the Detroit. The axle twisted until it snapped. It was a situation where he was climbing a ledge where one of the rear tires was off the ground, and thus almost all of traction was on one rear tire. A little gas and snap!

I do agree, though, that the Truetrac isn't nearly as hard on the axles since it never completely locks up and won't concentrate as much stress on a given axle.

discodriveradam

Apr 20, 2004
Sparta, TN
I'm not sure if it's an absolute must to install an HD axle with a TT, but I can guarantee you that I'm sticking one in as soon as my TT gets here. That's just a risk I don't want to take.

R

rtiqulatendisco

Stock axles break all the time, especially with a locker or TT. Just because a TT isn't a locker, you are still not safe. It will greatly increase the chance of breaking an axle and taking the traction device with it. Do it right the first time and get the HD axles.

Knut

Apr 21, 2004
I'm convinced. I'll do it right the 1st time (when I can afford it) and also install HD axles.

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
tire size anyone?

haven't heard of two many people breaking axles with a TT with 32s or less. especially since a lot of the time the TT is in the front and under a little bit less stress.

here's a question:
if an axle lets go with a TT does it take the diff with it like a detroit?
so for instance if the TT can stand the breakage and you have a say a D1 with an easy axle swap, can you just carry a spare?

currently i have a detroit in the rear with GBR HDs. the axles went in the same time as the locker. wasn't going to risk it. but with the front i was going to just drop a TT in and maybe pick up some spare front axles. given i run small tires and don't "hammer" like some so i don't tend to break things in the first place.

thoughts?

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Have TTs front and rear with stockers and 32s. One issue only over the last 3 years, front axle and CV, my fault due to heavy on brake pedal to engage front-end. My terrain is mud and sand, not rock, so consider that in the equation.
I know of some in this loose-terrain part of the country that run DTs with stock axles, but of course they are careful. It all depends on your foot since stock all-around can break axles if your foot is heavy.
Later.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I just love this topic. I say, "Leave the stock axles in. Back it out of your garage and look at it." I guess it all depends on how you use your disco. I think that if you add any type of traction devices, you might as well buy axles. My question to everybody is, why risk breaking something? I don't know about everybody else, but I would much rather watch people fix things that break on the trail while I'm drinking a beer. My idea is that if something is worth doing it's worth doing right.

On that note, get a DT for the rear.

D

D Chapman

I have busted one front axle, stripped 3 splines on one, cracked a CV, and exploded another with a TT in the front. I now have the RoverTracks HD set-up front and rear.

R

Runnerma

fishing axles

Ok not to go off topic, but just curious...

"How do I remove the broken axle piece that is stuck in the diff?"

:D :D :D

D

D Chapman

I went with the RT Axles and 110 CV's, but used the GBR drive flanges.

"How do I remove the broken axle piece that is stuck in the diff?"

I have used a long magnet both times on the rear axles. Snap-on and Craftsman both have a magnet with a lighted tip, that helps. Other folks have had the shaft get really jammed in the diff. In this case a magnet does you no good. From there I guess you have to get creative.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
To get the broken axle out:

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the end of a broom stick and put a 6" phillips bit extension in the end of it. Remove the other axle. Then I shoved the phillips bit in the hole of the DT and pushed the axle out. At the hub I had to take a paper towel roll and push it in the other end so I could lift the axle to get it out of the hub end. It can be a PITA but this worked well for me.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
broken CV etc. with a TT

Dan,

My experience is rather limited, but - it has been my observation that ALL axle failures with open diff or limited slip were caused by hard landing on a madly spinning wheel. In most cases, it was completely unnecessary.

This is not to say that HD hardware is a waste of time; but if someone keeps breaking stuff in the same place over and over, something needs to change - either driving style, or more significant hardware upgrade is in order. A front D44 is by far stronger than LR axle, with regular-style U-joints and shorter turning radius.

JSQ - a TT should not break when an axle lets go (other LSDs don't, and TT is a better one in design and execution).