yet another rack question

gahill2

Apr 20, 2004
Georgia
I know that everyone has an opinion on racks.

I found a used SD adventure rack for $850 installed.
Right now you can get a new NWP rack for $569 + $125 shipping.

Which one should I go with???
Is this a good price for a SD rack???

Thanks,

Hill
:confused:

gahill2

Apr 20, 2004
Georgia
Thanks!

I knew that eveyone would say go with SD rack.

I just didn't know how competitive this price was for a used rack.
Looks like a found a birthday present to myself.

Any other input is welcome....

I have heard about "scaring" the rain gutter with the rack. What actually happens? Is there any way to prevent this??

Thanks,

Hill

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
On the Disco 2, the gutter is actually covered by plastic. This plastic trim piece is what is scarred by the SD rack clamps.

If you are worried about how it will look, don't worry. The scarring is not visible when the rack is on. Furthermore, the trim piece is easy to remove and replace should you ever decide to take your rack off.

F

Falconx84

Definitely go SD -- if you decide to pass on it let me know... I know 10 guys who'll fight for it at that price.

O

Offrovr

$850 is a good price. I just picked one up for $900 with 4 hella 4000 and wiring harness'. Havent had time to wire them up yet.

RichardS

May 2, 2005
Maryville, TN
I agree the racks look cool and can be useful but you should ask yourself if you are really going to use it. We had one on the Series III we used to have and never really used it. All it did was look cool, make noise, reduce fuel economy, and snag on tree branches.

With the Disco we get by fine with a Yakima rack and rocketbox that only goes on if we have a lot of stuff and people to carry at the same time. Goes on/comes off in about 10 minutes and we use it maybe half a dozen or less times a year. The rest of the time we just load everything inside and secure it with straps. Another advantage to this setup is we can use the box on our car as well.

Don't take me wrong, if you plan on loading lots of stuff on it regularly then the rack is great. But there are some tradeoffs.

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
Check the condition of the rack. Has the paint been scraped off in lots of places, any rust, dents, etc. All these things can impact the price.

I was lucky enough to pick one up for a D1 for $450. I was the 3rd owner, and it was a bit scratched but re-painted.