Insurance company is trying to screw me

D

dustey383

Actually, in NY an insurance company can submit you an offer and unless you're a "registered repair shop" they don't have to negotiate with you.

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
You've had some interesting career moves Ron. You continue reinforce my stereotypical image of you. Let us know when you decide to go into politics...

alex

Apr 29, 2004
Libertyville, IL
syoung said:
...........What I don't think will fly is charging the full retail labor rate to them when a professional mechanic won't be doing the repair. As for the parts- well, parts is parts.

Not necessarily so. A few years ago I made a claim with State Farm when I hit a black ice patch and rearf ended my buddy's trailer on the way to Badlands. State farm paid for my SG bumper (total amount from the receipt, incoluding shipping, from over a year before the claim), a new winch fairlead based on a price I found online (just gave them a printout of the web page), and labor at $50 per hour. The adjuster was well aware I was doing the labor myself.

I have been with state farm for many years, have made a few claims, and they have always been excellent.

S

syoung

It's possible they'll do it, it's just not commonplace- Their job is to make the truck look and function as it did before the accident. Many insurance companies won't trust some shade tree mechanic since most insurance companies actually underwrite the warranty on the repair.

rrefx

I had the same experiance with State Farm that Alex had. My little brother wrecked the front end of my Mom's disco. I called the insurance company, and told them that I trusted a certain shop, they told me to feel free to take it there, and I know they aren't the cheapest shop around. One of the pieces they were going to replace was her stock brush bar. I caled the adjuster back up, I explained that I had a brush bar in perfect condition on my disco that would fit hers, and that I was saving up to get a new winch bumper. I asked if I could mount my brush bar on her disco, and have him cut me a check for the value of the brush bar, so I could use it to help me purchase the bumper I needed for mine. He said, "sure," and when the repairs were done, I had a check based on the value of the brush bar quoted by the landrover dealership. All together I was very happy!