High Mileage Discos out there??

TheDarkKnightt

Mar 4, 2005
North Georgia
As being a member of the forum some time ago, but lots of things happening over the last couple of years-

I was taking my whole dash out to replace my heater core earlier today, and have to say that my little '96 D1 has been more than good to me! It has never left me stranded and got me and more friends outa trouble than a little- as of today, it has 233K on it- and no major work!
(fingers crossed! No motor replaced, etc.- just regular maintenance.)

Just curious.

E

emnat

I have half that mileage on mine and am planing to put at least another 100k on mine, whats the secret??

gsitts

May 3, 2004
Breaux Bridge La.
I now have 170k of hard miles on mine... I just fixed all the large oil leaks, timing cover, cam sensor, pan ,valley cover, valve covers and I'm down to one leak from the rear engine area. It's interesting how you get used to oil leaks . I'm still happy with the truck as it does everything I ask of it. the only thing I really want to do is rebuild the drivers seat, it's really gone. Has anyone done this?? I use synthetic blend because its cheaper but still has the higher temp ratings and up till recently was running out.
Gordon :)

TheDarkKnightt

Mar 4, 2005
North Georgia
I try to religiously change the oil every 3-4 thousand, and, in my opinion, it might have to do with driving it longer than the usual commute- my drive distance to work everyday is 19 miles each way- plus anywhere else I want to go. The fact is, I think the 3.5-4.0 engines don't want to be lugged around! Make sure to give them a good head of steam so the rear cylinders get all the crap burned outa them. This is is partially my opinon and what I have heard around campfires,

Anyone out there with 400K+ on original engine?

macklow

May 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I've got a hair over 199,000 miiles on my '95. I bought it used from the dealer with 39K miles on it. Since then I've been usually pretty good about changing the oil every 3,000 miles, but there's been a lot of times I've let the oil changes go to 7K or 9K miles. I've used brand-name oils, the kind that comes in the 5-gallon tubs for $10, and expensive mobil 1 and castrol syntec. Haven't really noticed any differences no matter what I use.

Still passes smog with almost no hydrocarbons. Except for the thermostat, thermostat gasket, valley gasket and power steering pump & hoses, it has all original hoses and gaskets.

I also fuel up with the lowest octane (cheapest) gas I can find, and have no fear of visiting the off-brand gas stations to save a buck or two.

Just did a 3-week trip to the tip of Baja California, and had no problems (except for a fried MFU). Every so often I think about buying a used D2, but I have to admit I prefer the devil I know.

peter

Jun 18, 2004
what about the trannys, i heard those are bullit proof. anyone incounter any problems.

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
My wife and I have a pair of 97s that we've owned since new. Mine has 141k and hers 80k.

These are the most dependable vehicles we've ever owned. I try to give them oil chages every 4-6k miles, and I started substituting a quart of Lucas oil treatment for one quart of oil at each oil change. It quiets down the valve train noise.

As far as repairs, ...wheel bearings, starter, and water pump on the high mileage truck.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Well,

I've driven a 71 Range Rover V8 with about 400k on the clock. It had been out in the boonies it's whole life working the most remote of mines. My favorite part was the option of either turning the key or turning a handle. No vacuum hoses, so it was sluggish, but throw some rubber in there and it would have ran fine. It never did crap out, and it's still there today, hopefully with a new hose kit like I reccomended.

Cheers,

Kennith

lacrits68

May 22, 2004
Td 5 -99

mine have rolled 230 000km or 368' miles. Its an -99 TD5.

mainly basic maintanence, oil change, break pads, nothing major (yet).....!

--J--

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
TheDarkKnightt said:
As being a member of the forum some time ago, but lots of things happening over the last couple of years-

I was taking my whole dash out to replace my heater core earlier today, and have to say that my little '96 D1 has been more than good to me! It has never left me stranded and got me and more friends outa trouble than a little- as of today, it has 233K on it- and no major work!
(fingers crossed! No motor replaced, etc.- just regular maintenance.)

Just curious.

I'd replace the pipes while you're in there, those are what went on my '95.
I also took the opportunity to run some more electrical and CB coax through grommets in the firewall.

TheDarkKnightt

Mar 4, 2005
North Georgia
Thanks man, I indend on doing that- I did replace all the hoses on it to be preventative- with new American stuff! I hope my Disco lasts me for a long time to come!

Old Discos never die, they just fade away! :cool:

Rover1

May 26, 2004
Denver, CO
Make sure to give them a good head of steam so the rear cylinders get all the crap burned outa them.

I have a 96 D1 with 95K and want mine to last as long as possible. I was just wondering what you meant by the quote above.

Thanks.

TheDarkKnightt

Mar 4, 2005
North Georgia
Just dont get a ticket! It can be argued that there isnt much of a chance of that in a Rover-
but I beg to differ... Rovers just dont look fast, and they have the aerodynamics of a brick-

That is why we love them!

RVRSRVC

May 7, 2004
Elizabethtown, PA
www.roverlab.com
94 DI with 166k, bought with 104K- pretty much replaced most of the big stuff- engine, trans, transfer, driveshafts, axles, and more at 150k. Plan on keeping it forever.

90 Range Rover 190k that ran flawlessly and still does after selling it to a friend.

Have a couple of customers vehicles at 220- 250k.

B

blanco

1997 Land Rover Discovery
177,5xx miles at last oil change a month ago. bought it with 108K

Replaced:
rotors/pads,
starter,
alternator,
front diff (cracked the housing spilling its blood,fixed),
rear output seal on transfer case,
front main seal
sparkplug wires and gems unit,
driveshaft u-joints,
etc.

I've done 95% of the work myself and it has not failed me (yet, knocking on wood). I do give it an Italian tune up from time to time. :)

Gents, these trucks were made to take punishment that would kill a lesser vehicle. :D

B

bentley6501

My 01 has just over 102k and I plan on keeping it for a while. I just finished the front cover gasket and timing chain replacement this morning and had a look at the bottom end and everything looks amazingly clean.

C

CGarriss

I have a 96 D1, which I purchased new. It currently has 193K on it. All maintenance has been performed at or before recommended intervals, and most at the dealer. All fuel has been major brand high octane. At approximately 80K it needed a valve job, at approximately 150K it needed another one. Both performed by the dealer. At 192.5K the trans mission went - suddenly, was rebuilt. That was interesting, as parts were "back ordered" and it took about 6 weeks to get them. A few (literally) miles post transmission work, check engine light again. Multiple misfires, plugs wires changed (by dealer), still getting codes. Dealer says valave problem again, however does not recommend valve job since has already had 2. Recommends new/rebuilt engine. Has had numerous other maintenance issues: water leaks, master cylinder, sun roof rails (about 8 times), plus normal expected maintenance. Had I not just put $4k+ into transmission, I would walk (run?) away. However, now I am in a dilemma.

Last edited: