what correct tool fits the DII rotor screw

akronk1

Apr 20, 2004
Danbury CT
I just swapped out all of my rotors and pads on my DII (thanks for the info Nathan). After I finished the struggled to complete one rotor and pad swap, thankfully one of my friends came by with an electric impact wrench that shaved off 40 min per swap compared to doing it all by hand.
Anyways, just before the board swapped over there was a posting on what type/size of tool correctly fit the screw that holds the rotor to the hub. Does anyone recall what it was? My largest Philips didn't fit so I was having troubles with removing the screw(s) and tearing them up which I want to avoid the next time I have to do a swap.

F18Guy

Mar 30, 2004
Down by the big rock

Ryanspeed

Apr 22, 2004
What is the size of the socket needed to unbolt the calipers on a DII? I can only remember that it needs to be a 12 point socket. Also, will a deep socket work or is a standard needed for clearance? Finally, the service manual states that the bolts need to be torqued in excess of 100 foot-pounds, what is the maximum torque that can be applied to a 3/8" drive vs. a 1/2" drive socket.
Thanks

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
You can easily apply >100lbs with any drive, maybe not a 1/4".

Get a torque wrench.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This may not be the most elegant solution, but it worked for me and it is fast: Put a flat blade on an air hammer, seat it in one of the four grooves, and give it a light "braaapp". The screw comes right out and with minimal to no marring.

I probably would not have tried this on my driver, but discovered this while parting a DS2. It works for the rotors as well as the P-brake drum.