Rolled my XD, over, and over....

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
hollister hills ate me alive when i was there a couple of weeks ago. Insurance is still coming through. Wanted some thoughts on what i should get as a replacement. Before you say it, definatly a land rover. I was looking at a range rover classic though as opposed to a D1. if i was in england i'd look for a series IIA, III. any thoughts

F

fergy

I have both a 97 D1 and 87 RR Classic ,both of which are set up with OME suspensions. For its size, the D1 does better in conditions like Hollister Hills. The Classic being a bit longer is not quiet as nimble but is still very much sure footed.
If your interested in a Classic, mine's for sale....wife says its got to go...she says I don't need 3 four wheel drive vehicles.

Fergy in Hollister

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
if its a "trail rig" i say D90!!!

if its an every day driver:
AND you didnt want to spend a bucket full of cash whats wrong with another Disco???
AND your willing to spend a few extra clams, get a P38... right now they are pretty cheap. you can find a nice 00-02 for high 20's low 30's... and depending on the rig you might even still have a factory warranty

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
A defender would be awesome, that's my dream land rover. Somehow i don't think the insurance company is going to shell out nearly enough for a defender 90. I'm not one to complain about on road practicality of a d90 and if i were spending anywhere in the 20's i'd be on a defender. unless the insurance messes up and gives me stacks of cash more than i should get, i think i'll go for another discovery. they look less dated than the range rover classics. damn it i was trying not to think about a defender....

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Consider yourself lucky to get anything for a rollover offroad.

Do the 90.

Brian

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
If you ahve time, buy it back and fix it up for a trail only rig. Then get a fun car, like the '92 vette conv im selling with 33k miles. or another commuter car. If its at all salvageable, you shoudl covert it to a dedicated rig. then if you roll it again, no bg deal. Just remember to put in a roll cage.

GotRovr

Jun 16, 2004
Jack,

You can't go wrong with any Rover, it's all about $ and Preferences

Our last NCRC outing this past weekend at Blue Lakes and Slick Rock, there was the full gambit of Land Rovers making a bunch of highly modified jeep owners envious and shaking their heads in disbelief.

1-Series IIa stock
1-Series III w/chevy engine
1-D1 w/3" lift
2-D2 stock
1-D1 w/OME springs
1-D1 stock
1-RR series 1 stock
1-D90 w/larger tires

We all made through sans minor blemishes or what I like to call tattoos

Attachments

• 2004_07-10-294.jpg
    2004_07-10-294.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 481

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
i probably will buy it back since it's got all new engine components and a top end rebuild with new heads. Plus i can use the seats for my next d1 since they are renowned for having cracked crappy leather seats. I'll let you know when i get it back and i'll part it out. It's not salvagable. The Chassis is cracked under the drivers side sill where the rock slider rotated through 90 degrees and there isn't a straight pannel on it. When i get it back i'll see if i could make it a trail rig but i doubt it.

T

TOZROVR

Glad you're OK.

Out here, quite a few folks I know who've rolled have been covered by their standard insurance as long as they are on established trails and not in competition.

Good luck with the buy back, you can usually recover pretty well with that. Any pics?

RJ

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
bri said:
Consider yourself lucky to get anything for a rollover offroad.

Why? Most insurance worth its salt will provide that coverage. I know of folks who have destroyed their vehicles (rolled) offroad and had insurance pay. I also haven't heard of cases where insurance refused to pay.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Depends on a lot of things I betcha, I have had friends that have had nothing paid for by insurance when they have off-road "accidents". Certainly you MUST have a full coverage policy to have them pay anything.

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
that's what the insurance said. they did try to scwirm out of paying at first but it's a california state park and off an established trail. It was at McCoy Rd not far from the highest point in the park. I do have some pictures...

Attachments

• edit.JPG
    edit.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 238
  • edit2.JPG
    edit2.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 242

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
shit, for going off the side of a hill and rolling, that thing looks great! did the windshield not even crack?

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Not so sure I would say that looks great. Bent pillars pretty much toast a vehicle and it looks like all might be bent, meaning that the entire roof is not longer very stable and you can't see the chassis damage.

Ouch.

Brian