Painting new rear bumper

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
where i'm at right now, duh...
I'm going to have Shaffer's Offroad build me a rear bumper, but it needs to be painted. I have a spray gun, but I'd like to know what kind of paint i should use (anything in particular?). Is there another product out there that would work better, other than a spray on paint? Something like a truck bedliner that's tough, but not too gritty looking?

I just feel there's no point in having it powder coated when I'm going to be scraping it on rocks anyways. This way I'll be able to make touch ups if needed to.

Thanks,

Matt

B

bshinn

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you're refering to the Dupont product, it's spelled Imron. Might make it easier to find.

Bob

F

Falconx84

is your front bumper powder coated?

I just got my rovertym front bumper, and it recommends using rustolem (spelling) for touch ups. My guess is that you want something to match your front bumper.

DiscoveryXD

May 1, 2004
where i'm at right now, duh...
Yeah, I've got an RTE slimline up front. A friend said to go down to an auto paint shop and get some flat black enamel for my spray gun (that's still in the box, I've never used one before).

I'm just afraid that the spray paint won't come out evenly. I've never sprayed anything as big as a bumper with cans of spray paint.

Thanks

Matt

JacIntyre

Apr 20, 2004
Truck bed liner

I'd give the truck bed liner a try. It goes on textured but getting an even application is no problem and layers blend very well. I gave my SG rock sliders about 4 coats each and its held up well. After it dries it is almost indistinguishable from the factory black trim on my DII. Bought it AutoZone.

F

Falconx84

DiscoveryXD said:
I just feel there's no point in having it powder coated when I'm going to be scraping it on rocks anyways. This way I'll be able to make touch ups if needed to.

If you're getting it so you can scape it up, then why worry if the paint is even?

As long as the metal is prepared for painting and you take your time moving in broad sweeping strokes, you should be just fine. Also, flat paint in very forgiving

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Don't go flat on the bumper or sliders. Go semi. easier to clean IMHO and it will look better. flat or even ultra flat is what I have on my hood though-- excellent.

Brian

vabiro

Matt,

You might be interested in POR-15 (http://www.por15.com/) as a primer. It is also available in a couple of colours, including black. It is not super expensive (1 pint = $22 = 50 sq. ft.)

From the site:
"BLACKCOTE? is a permanent black coating developed for application over painted and unpainted surfaces. Apply over POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint for the toughest, most permanent protection against rust and corrosion ever developed.

BLACKCOTE? is non-porous and will not crack, chip, or peel when properly applied according to directions. It has amazing scratch and abrasion resistance and is similar in strength to regular POR-15 Rust Preventive Coatings. BLACKCOTE? is not sensitive to ultra-violet light and may be exposed to sunlight without damaging consequences. BLACKCOTE? has excellent adhesion characteristics and may be applied over POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint months or years later with proper preparation. "

Cheers
Victor

Randy

Apr 20, 2004
Easton, Pa.
Painted my Greg Davis bumper by first hitting it with a grinder to get off the protection coating and the few imperfections. Then I sprayed it with Rustoleum primer, 2 coats. Then 2 coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black, all from spray cans. was pretty easy and came out pretty good. I also bought a pint can of rustoleum semi-gloss black to use for brush on repairs to front and rear bumpers and sliders. Works great.

rrefx

For Priming it, PPG also makes a great industrial primer, I believe it's called DP - 90. We use to use it to paint boat trailers with it, and I also used it to prime my pump before coating it in fire truck red. Just be sure to have a good respirator if you use it, it's pretty harsh on the lungs.

~Ry

S

Steve83

Why not powder it, then touch up with spray? It'd last a lot longer and look better (even with touch-ups), and shouldn't cost any more than a handful of spray cans. I can get my front done for ~$125 & the back for $75, but I live next to the guy who runs one of the biggest powdercoating plants in this part of the country. :D

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The reasons why you should not powder coat bumpers, sliders or skid plates is because it costs much more and you cannot touch up the powder coat yourself. Sure you can "cover up" the powder coat scrapes with paint, but then what is the point of the powder coat in the first place. Further, it will scrape off and leave you with portions of bumper that are withoput powder coating. It will NOT put up with the abuse of rocks scraping and such any better than paint. You should have seen the way that powder coat eventually flaked off of my bull bar.

Powder coating is not for something that to use on something that you know you are going to hit. For example it would be good on the roof rack, but not good on a bumper, sliders or skid plates.

Brian