Humming in 4 wheel drive low

Carl_kps

May 23, 2004
Harpers Ferry, WV
I have recently moved to a town house and have not been able to go off roading since the winter. I recently dropped my rover in 4 wheel drive low and drove for about 100 yards, just to make sure everything was operating correctly. While driving I notice a good amount of humming from the transfer box when I got to about 8 to 10 miles. (I have never driven it in 4 WD low on pavement but this was the only place I could drive like this legally.) I know this is probly normal but I just wanted to check with you guys first. (I am going off-roading in upstate New York this weekend and want to make sure everything was in good order.

J

JR Ewing III

Probably normal. Low gear isn't designed to be driven speeds much higher than 10 mph. I have a DII, and it whines if I go faster than 10 mph.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
hey Carl, just to clear up a few things first. all Discos are full-time 4wd, so there is no shifting into 4wd. if you just shifted into Low-unlocked and you had the truck up to speed ~25-35 mph, it would definitely whine. now, if you shifted into Low-locked, and were driving on pavement, big no-no. bad juju there.

Carl_kps

May 23, 2004
Harpers Ferry, WV
I thought this was normal but I just wanted to ask. I just wanted to switch to 4 WD Low just to make sure everything was in good order. I was able to drop it to 4wd low and drive with no trouble, (only about 100 yards). This is the first time I have ever drive my rover in 4wd Low on the pavment and just want to make sure the humming was normal.

Also where I wrote 4 wd in my last post should say 4wd low. I posted without reviewing.

I also have a DISCO 2 and I thought the hubs can not be locked (Traction control takes care of this. Is this true?)