Suggestions on replacing the Rotoflex?

K

kkngtgr

I'll receive the new rotoflex for my 96 disco tomorrow, and I think that I could replace it myself, any suggestions or tips? anything tricky? thans guys

-Marco

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
two 19mm wrenches

install the new roto the exact same way the old one was (they are "directional")

K

kkngtgr

10-4 it seems to be fairly easy, I'll do it and will also replace the steering damper, if I only had that relocation kit, thanks Blue, and I'll post tomorrow night with the results,cheers

-Marco

Tom in MD

Apr 20, 2004
Sarasota, USA
Metal Bushing

Don't forget to replace the metal bushing that fits in the end of the drive shaft. I guess it's actually metal with a nylon/plastic insert. May want to lube it up a bit where the centralizing peg floats.

K

kkngtgr

will the bushing come with the rubber coupling? or do I have to get the bushing to?, thanks

-Marco

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
Depends on where you bought it....

Sometimes, some places will sell the rotoflex by itself. Other places sell the rotoflex and bushing together as a kit. I've seen some that sell the rotoflex, the bushing, and new bolts and nuts for the install.

On the wife's Disco, the rotoflex had aged and was soft, the bushing was still intact, so I didn't install it but put it into my spares box. However, don't take that to mean that I recommend not changing it. On some Discos that I've worked on, the rotoflex wasn't really that old, but the bushing had worn and was loose, and 'may' have been what caused the rotoflex to prematurely wear. I'd actually suggest changing the bushing, actually, if it comes with it. But, if not, at least examine the bushing and see what you think yourself.

IMHO, FWIW.....

-L

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The only problem you will have will be that bushing. It can be a royal PITA. I cut mine out. Be careful not to cut into the DS though.

K

kkngtgr

I've received everything today, the rotoflex came with 3 nuts and bolts, one bushing and the washers, I also received the ome steering damper, and the "I'drather push a Rover, than drive a Jeep", from Atlantic British, I'm very happy with them, the rotoflex kit was only $89 and the dealer or should I call it the stealer wanted $125, same difference for the damper...I'll try to post later the results of replacing that rotoflex, Cheers

-Marco

K

kkngtgr

I started replacing the rotofles, and the bushing did not want to come out, spent like 3 hours tryng, Im taking the drive shaft to a machinist to try to get it out, will post news later

-Marco

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
A Dremel will cut enough through the metal of the buching to get it out. Heat will help too.

K

kkngtgr

I wish I had the dremel, I took the machinist over 1 hour to take it out, may be in part due to the partial damge caused by my efforts to take it out , but it is out, new bushing in, and DS back in place, still have to replace the steering damper should be easy, will post tomorrow night as soon as I'm done.Cheers.

-Marco