Teflon Tape on Differential Drain Plugs?

SailorMac

Aug 18, 2004
Shermer, IL
I am about to change the diff oil on my '02 DII and was wondering what you guys do with the drain plugs? The shop manual says to use Loctite 290, but at the dealer they said their service guys always use Teflon tape so there's no leaks. Any thoughts?

Bannon88

Nov 3, 2004
Columbia, IL
I've never had a problem with mine leaking. I don't see how it could hurt though.

Sure would beat filling them up, only to find out they leak, and repeating the process.

D

Disco Mike

If you get tired of the plastic drain plugs, look at E.E., John has brass drain plugs with o-rings that don'r wear out and dont leak.
Mike J.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Just got mine a week or so ago, and a spare. Plus the brass radiator plug. Still amazes me the D2 has plastic. All I can say is get rid of them.

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
on my DII only the fill plugs are plastic

drain plugs are the magnetic ones for sale on EE. I used loctite on my drain plugs.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
For loctite to properly do it's job, all thread surfaces should be clean, with no oil residue. Idealy cleaned off with brake-kleene.
All drain plugs I've always used had copper washers and didn't leak. Last time I went into the dealer to get some washers for my DI they said they were replacing them with the plastic ones. I left empty handed.
For the filler plug I never use anything. Since it's a no pressure seal, the taper pipe thread is good enough IMO.