Road noise: Goodyear MT/Rs vs Interco trxus

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Anyone know what the road noise is like when comparing the Goodyear MTRs, Interco TRXUS, and the BFG MT KOs?

I am looking to replace my BFG MT KOs with a tire that performs better on wet/icy/snow packed roads and is still usable as an off-road tire. Any info on how the tires compare in this way would be very very helpful. In particular the TRXUS are hard to get reliable info on.

Thanks,
--Craig

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Get your MTs siped and be done. I hate the Txrus, but will run them until they are dead (at least I hate them on my rig in the 235/85 size). See what others say though, its an opinion thing.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
at our recent Moab event, we got to see first hand how each of these tires handled the same terrain... i was not impressed at all by the Truxus tires.
they simply could not grip or clean out as fast as the others.
MTr's are great on the rock but they wear really fast, not great in snow and are really loud
BFG MT's great on the rock, harder compound than Mtr (don't wear as fast) fine in snow also really loud.

if your looking for a tire that performs better in snow/ice/water i'd go BFG-AT
i prefer the AT over all the others, the BFG AT-KO is great on rock, great in snow, and no where near as loud as the Mud terrains... good luck

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Alls I can say is that when my Dunlop R/T Radial Rovers finally wear out, I will replace with the same. Not terrific in mud, but in snow, slickrock, dirt, and overall Utah wheelin' they have been great for over 30K and I still have about 50% left...

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
I've seen to many ATs clag up instantly with NE mud. Seriously thinking about replacing my Cooper STT (MTs) (NLA) with Dunlop RT that have gone everywhere I have and are much nicer on road which is where we all do most of our miles

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
craig said:
Why do you hate them?

--Craig

Horrible balancing, chunks flying, noise, you name it.

I run BFG ATs in winter when I run on snow/wert roads and do not wheel. I love them.

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
Just put the Revo Duelers (285/75-16) on my D2 (stock rims) for a 24hr road trip to FL over the holiday. Damn, them things are smooth. That's how I know that the BFG MT KMs (on 16x7 rims) are loud muthas as I have relegated them to off-road duty only.

I had the Radial Rover R/Ts on for a while and while great in the snow/wet when they wear down, they get loud too and it didn't take me long to wear them down.

That said, I don't really care how loud the damn things are as long as they work.

I have the TrXus on the series truck, I can't say enough good things about them in this application. Loud? It's a series truck afterall. No problem with the balancing, perform great at about 15psi. Wouldn't want 'em on my D2 for any prolonged road driving, however.

Good times.............yeah, good times.

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Firestone Destination M/Ts

I compared tires at tirefactory.com and the Firestone Destination M/Ts win the comparisons hands down. They pretty much blew the BFG MTs and ATs out of the water. Has anyone ever run these?

--Craig

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I had the Dunlop Radial Rover RTs and they worked good in the snow, rain, and light off roading. However, in mud they clogged up very fast. Weren't that loud either.

I had GY MTRs which were Ok in the snow, Ok in the rain, were good in the rocks, and mud, execpt they would clog up in thick gumbo/clay mud.. They were nice and quiet till they wore a little and then got louder and louder... However, they can take some sidewall abuse.. Mine had some nice cuts and cunks taken out of them down to the steel sidewall belt and they still held air.

I now have Truxus MTs on the truck and they are better then the MTRs on wet street. They are very quiet for now ( keep in mind they are new ).. They did require loads of weight to ballance them but, some of that is due to the rims. Haven't had them in snow or taken them off road yet but, from getting feed back from some friends that run them and have been running them I'm sure that they will do better then the MTRs at pretty much everything except for maybe sidewall strenght and wear... Of course My MTRs cupped like crazy and wore really funny. I would recommend rotation of the MTRs at every oil change and really watch the air pressure in them. Truxus were also cheaper if money is a concern.

I figured I would try the Truxus as I have heard some nice things about them... I don't drive much so the wear isn't really an issue for me.. Oh, and incase you want to know.. The 265/75 16 Truxus weigh 55 pounds each just the tire itself.

Kai

Nov 18, 2004
I had Destination MT's and had terrible luck. They were an early batch and i kept lossing lugs off the tires. Probably lost 5-6 tread lugs on every tire and one tire i lost about 9. They may have improved the compound by now. They were fine for mud (which i am sure all the people who write reveiws at tire rack run in) but any type of aired down wheeling is when i started ripping lugs off.

I traded them in for the Bridgestone (had to stick to the same manufacture) Dueller Revo's. These tires did just as well in the mud and rock crawling Moab. Problem is they don't look aggressive like the other AT's or MT's. Street driving they are great. I would stick them on my '04 but just don't like the look. I actually think they are a comparable tire to the BFG AT (maybe even better in the mud) but the BFG's have a better "look".

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
takes a little longer but, not that much of a difference between them and the MTRs. I try not to follow people that close since everyone around here slams on their brakes at the last second. Oh, and the truck down shifts to 3rd faster with the Truxus then it did with the MTRs which isn't really a bad thing in my opinion..

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Do not...I repeat...do NOT run the Firestone MTs. They are prone to throwing chunks of rubber on the rocks. I have a set on my D1 and hate them!

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Well it looks like I am back to the same old same old tire decision that everyone makes:

BFG MTs
BFG ATs
Goodyear MTRs

Everyone that owns them seems happy with them. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these. The MTRs of course wear faster.

--Craig

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Not sure where you live but, you could look into getting the BFG MTs siped. No where around me ( that I could find ) does it but, in your neck of the woods maybe it's a common thing. That would help with the wet, icy and snow traction..

S

Snwbord24

I know a guy running a new set of the Destination MT's and they to be holding up pretty well. Hasn't lost any lugs and they seem to do just as well in the mud as the BFG MT's. Maybe they've got all the kinks out now, who knows.

I'll stick with my BFG MT's though, I just live with the noise for now.

Gordo

BFG MTs

I run the BFG MTs (255/85/.16)and love them. I ran the Bridgestone MTs before and they were real good in wet pavement and drove great, but the sidewalls are only 2ply and easily punctured. My brother in law ran the GY MTR's and they were loud and seemed to gum up quickly in the mud. Not a bad tire by any means but not worth the money. Lots of guys here in Fl run the Swampers, mostly the TSL's, and they are hard to beat in the mud but LOUD on the street and you can watch them wear out. I would just stick with a tire with 3ply sidewalls if you wheel hard or get the roadside warranty. Bridgestone offered it and I rejected it only to blow a sidewall out in 3 months. They let me get it late and I never had any further problem. Also if you run stock alloys the Bridgestone MT's have a spring loaded beading system. They were nearly impossible to bead and when the tire shop removed them they screwed up the beads trying to get them off. I guess it works great in the groved rims of a rover rim so it would probably work well offroad, but once you mount them leave them alone. The Firestones might be the same deal so ask about it if you go that route. Gordo.