What's the proper way to drive in deep sand

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Went to the beach Saturday and that damn deep sand is hell with MT's. I aired down, but it was a lot of work for the Rover. I watched all the damn toyotas and jeeps just float on the sand. Just curious do you drive in 2nd 3rd, leave it in drive and let it shift, diff lock on or off?

S

Sergei

It just takes some practice :) Keeping momentum, locked wheels, aired down (serious aired down) tires, no sharp turns ever, A/T tires :) And no panicing if you feel truck "floating".

Also remember that LR is pretty heavy. Specially comparing with CJs and old Toyotas.

GregFrench

Apr 26, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
www.pantheism.net
Yes...Air down. WAY Down. MT's tend to dig in to the sand, and aren't as good as AT's but will still work.

Keep your momentum, and if you have to stop, fing a "hard sand" spot. It there aren't any, start off slow. I usually keep it in 4 low, locked, and start off in 2nd or 3rd gear.

If you get stuck, DON'T FLOOR IT!!!!
Rock back and forth gently.

I have never gotten stuck in sand, but have been very, very close.
Also, carry some 2x6's with you to use as ladders if you need them.

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
I have never had mine in the sand but like sergei said a very heavy truck with narrow tires will have to work harder than a much lighter toy or jeep. Plus, most LR's are lucky to be runnin' a 10.5 width tire where as the toy's and jeeps are probably running 11.5, 12.5 and up which doesn't sound like much but that and the weight will make a difference.

D

Dan Ratcliffe

Aaron, I struggled as well in the beast. I have never aired down out there before, but on the way back I finally had to. That weekend the sand was the most sugary I had ever seen. After ward, read through every book I have and all of them say the same thing. Don't use an agressive tread in sand, if you have too, air way down (as the other folks said) and realize that nothing you do will help as much as just having the proper tire. It was nice meeting you.

Dan

D

doc1911

If you are going to do a lot of sand/higher speed loose surface driving I would learn how to left foot brake. It will allow you to keep RPMs and monetum going while controlling the vehicle. It is a lot like rally driving.

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Don't think the left foot break thing would work. You are running like 3500rpms going 10mph. Its like trying to drive in sugar as Dan put it. this stuff is difficult to walk. When you get going it is fine, just the damn heavy rovers, shitty radiators ( mine is new) and deep sand don't mix well. Its not so much as traction as trying to keep the vehicle temp down while pushing through. I will definitely try the brake thing on take offs I could see where that would help.

93Disco

We are knowen as Sand Groppers and for good resone, In Western Australia.
We have Sand lots of it and we just love driving in our 4x4's in (damn deep sand).
Still lots of new b's get it all wrong.

1st get some info about sand driving 4x4 mag's,clubs or your local 4x4 shop may have lesons.

2nd you "Must" let your tyres down, I let mine down to 18-19 psi.

3rd lock the diff High Range and drive off in 2nd gear not 1st, auto's use 2nd will make easy work for your vehicle.

4th do'nt try to make you own track along a beach if other 4x4's have made a track use it, they'v done the some hard work for you.

5th if you get that sinking fealing, come to a "Slow" stop and reverse up a little on your own track and start again.

6th get even more info about sand driving from 4x4 mag's,clubs or your local 4x4 shop.

I use A/T tyres

Attachments

• 32723.jpg
    32723.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 451
D

doc1911

You could not left foot break all the time. If you understand the mechanics and princliples, it is a great skill for long beach drives or the sandy/dirt mix you find on a lot of very easy trails/ firebreaks. It is definately not for 5 MPH in any condition, you need at least 30MPH

scrover

Air down below 15 psi. - the lower the better.

Keep your speed down (unless you need momentum for a particular obstacle). Don't use the brakes - you'll just dig yourself into a hole.

Wider tires don't help - they'll just push a larger pile of sand in front of your tire. Most of the classic sand tires (Michelin XS, Pirelli Scorpion Dakar etc.) are 7.50R16 - narrower than any current stock Land Rover tire. They work in the Sahara desert - they'll work for you.

Taller tires aired down will keep your axles out of the sand and minimize your rolling resistance. You want to lengthen your foot-print, not widen it. A mild tread helps.

Not just MHO ;)

SC

utahdog2003

Apr 20, 2004
North Florida
Jump on the throttle and throw big rooster tails, while sawing the wheel violently from side to side like a drunken gorilla. At least that's the method employed by most of the pinheads on my local beach. Apparently it also can be helpful to stare luridly and shout crude invitations at teenage girls.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
doc1911: I disagree with the left foot braking comment. Left foot braking will help open diff rigs almost regardless of speed or trail surface if you have wheel spin. I use it all the time on boulders and slick rock. I almost never use it going MORE than 5, always use it when crawling.

93 Disco: Whats with the white out letters?

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
My 285's AT's kick a** on sand at 20psi. at least in Pine Barrens sand, not sure how it differs from what your driving through.

"Jump on the throttle and throw big rooster tails, while sawing the wheel violently from side to side like a drunken gorilla. At least that's the method employed by most of the pinheads on my local beach. Apparently it also can be helpful to stare luridly and shout crude invitations at teenage girls."

This is also the proper technique for driving through malls. And dont forget to honk and rev the engine up a lot also.

G

Gabe

I live 20 min from the outer banks and run 245/75 MTR's, not a good sand tire but aired down to 15 PSI, no problem on the beach. I normally run in high range and D. It's important to start off with only enough gas to get rolling and add as needed from there. No sharp turns and when you get in the suger type stuff, shift to low range & D. Sooner or later you will run into a shell bed and no matter what you drive or what tires, youl be stuck like in quick sand. don't dig in, get a buddy to pull with a strap or bury the spare and winch out. The key is not to get stuck at low tide below the tide line. We see it all the time. People get stuck, tide comes in and washes the truck under so far it can't be pulled out with out digging and heavy equipment. ( also heavy tow bill )

GG

D

doc1911

Again, left-foot breaking while driving 10MPH in sand is not going to help. But like I said before if you understand the mechanics and principles of the left-foot breaking and how you can maintains RPMS and speed while better controlling the shifting weight of the Rover it would help.

Just like Sergi suggested, it would allow you to keep monentum up, deal with the Rover if it "floats" ( actually keep it from "floating" at all if done correctly) and deal with sudden turns if you need to for some reason.

I look at it like this. My Rover has a 3 in lift and 35's...it ain't no race car. That does not mean I don't at times utilzed the principles and skills I learned at high preformace driving school I went to. I just suggested leaning a new "tool" for the toolbox of skills we like to have to make useg our Rovers more fun on all terrain

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
If you have all tires with equal traction, then left foot braking will not do anything other than stop you or give some additional control. If you have a wheel spinning it can divert power to the wheel with traction, so it *could* help there too.