Salt Lake D1 for Sale

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Salt Lake D1 for Sale - NOW DENTED!!

Hey guys,
There is a D1 in Salt Lake around 37S at the Land Rover/Izusu dealer. 95 D1 white. Anyone know anything about the car? Its got 84K miles and they are asking 7K. Seems a little steep, but I was wondering if there are any Utardians on here that might know the car and if there is anything to know. My buddy up there has his Trooper in the shop, and they busted a couple of head bolts off in the block. They are telling him its going to be 4K to get them out. THEY broke them off...whats the deal. Anyway, he called me as they have a D1 in the lot to ask about Rovers.
Anyone out there know the car?
Thanks guys
Ed

Last edited:

SLC99Disco

Feb 5, 2006
Utah
If you want to PM the VIN I can look it up and see if its ever been to the dealership I work at. (Centerville Utah dealership)

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Weeeeelll...here's an interesting one. They took it for a test drive and got in a mild fender bender. So...they have stripped the bolts in the head of his Izusu and he has smashed the front of their Disco.
Sounds fair to me....although some small managerial type guy at the dealership apparently flipped out. Now the other party they hit on the test drive, looked at his truck....called no foul and left. They then drove back to the dealership with the salesman in the car, and thats when the manager flipped out, had a cow, called the cops (who said...if there is no report from the other party, there is nothing they can do). My brother nearly flipped out, but decided better of it, and walked out....as did my buddy 5 min later...due to the fact that this guy was so obnoxious. Now bear in mind, they have snapped off two bolts in his block while performing a head gasket replacement, and want him to pay an additional 4K to pull the engine, take it to a machine shop and have the broken studs removed!! I told him to make them do it, as they quoted the original work at 1500 bucks. Any thoughts on the initial head gasket issue - or the now bent front bumper issue?
This could be a new soap opera!
Ed

SLC99Disco

Feb 5, 2006
Utah
I have heard nothing but horror stories about Intermountain Land Rover,,, this just adds more too it.

I would say that the broken head bolt is something that the dealership is going to have to cover. 4k seems like a lot to get some broken bolts out too. I know that at the dealership I work at, if a tech breaks a bolt our service department gets to eat the labor to get the bolt out.

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Thats what I would have thought....not call the owner and ask for an additional 4K to cover the labor and the problem? I have never heard of that happening. "Sorry we screwed up the bolt, and its gonna cost ya!!" WTF?

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
Intermountain sucks.

that is steep for a 95 even with that mileage. They should discount it for him for breaking the bolts, it's not his fault, why should he pay it?

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
edthediscoman said:
Thats what I would have thought....not call the owner and ask for an additional 4K to cover the labor and the problem? I have never heard of that happening. "Sorry we screwed up the bolt, and its gonna cost ya!!" WTF?

I would agree with this when I had my 87 Sterling I took it in to have the timing belt replaced. The tech snapped some bolt off I can't remember what but it took them like 12 aditional hours of labor to fix it. They still only charged me the orginal $800 quoted.

The only exception I have run into on this is when they tell you in advance that something is really stuck or rusted they can try but if it breaks they will charge you to fix it.

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
I told him to plan on driving it till the wheels fall off....no plans to ever sell it, and he'll be fine. Was involved in a front end wreck, but repaired. He is buying it from a buddy, but I told him to get the frame checked out.

lowwill

Nov 27, 2006
Hamden CT
hell, i would stay away for the simple fact that they broke head bolts on your buddy truck and want to charge him for removal. what they going to tell you if you happen to bring it back.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
edthediscoman said:
He is now looking at an 01 with a salvage title in Salt lake for 5K with 38K miles...anyone? Bueller?
Ed

If he plans to keep it I don't see a problem with a Salvaged title as long as everything is straight. Mine has a salvaged title according to the PO it was stolen at some point and once the insurance paid out they totaled the title. So when it was recovered it got a salvaged title. His story was also reinforced by the fact that they key only works in the ignition not the doors so I guess they got lazy when they rekeyed it.