Whining noise from serpentine belt...

J

janakaperera

I'm trying to diagnose a whining noise from the serpentine belt area. I thought it might be a pulley, but after spraying lubrication on all the pulleys, the noise still persists. My second guess is that it's the water pump. The water pump is a lot of $$$ (as is everything else in my peasant-like lifestyle). I was wondering before I tear into it, if anyone else had a similar problem and/or have advice to give. Thanks in advance!

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
I had a bad whining sound for a while. Turns out i the dealer put the wrong pulley on. another dealer found the problem, and fixed it and put on a new belt all under warranty.
LR Monmouth put the wrong pulley on if anyone is wondering which dealership could be so stupid.

Bahnstorm

May 22, 2004
Ithaca, NY
bahnstorm.com
Check the belt tensioner. There are some pulley bearings that are much easier and cheaper fix than the waterpump. If you have a stethascope use it on the waterpump to see if that is really where the noise is coming from. A long screwdriver put to your ear also would help you pinpoint the sound.
You can pull on the waterpump pulley to see if there is any play in the shaft, not good.
If it is your waterpump and it only squeaks at idle and money is tight, drive it until it gets worse. Sometimes a squeakey pump will last a long time before finally giving out. Just listen to it and keep an eye on your temp guage.

markg

May 6, 2004
FL
Try spraying belt dressing on the belt and pully grooves and see if the noise stops or changes. Most auto shops carry it for a few bucks and may be worth a shot. I don't think its a good permanent fix but at least you'll be able to rule out belt noise.

I had a similair problem with my truck except the noise I had would change dependent on rpm and sounded like birds chirping and a few other hard to describe noises.

J

janakaperera

Thanks everyone. The noise comes and goes at idle and stays constant during a/c operation. I've tried CRC Belt Dressing (mixed feelings about this product), and gel lubrication on the pulleys. Since I started hearing the noise, I stopped driving it. However, when I do drive it, my eyes are glued to the temp gauge. The noise is definitely a wining noise - and I'm suspecting the water pump more and more. I think I can rule out the chirping noise - I've had other cars that had this noise and ended up being the serpentine belt.

Does the fan clutch need to be replaced at the same time?

'97 Disco SD
~79K miles

W

wags2034

this may work...

I had a similar problem, and it went something like this... I tried belt dressings, then I replaced the tensioner, the noise continued, especially when it was raining. I read that you could replace the bearing of the tensioner. Thinking that myabe it was a bad bearing (in the new tensioner?) I replaced the bearing. There was not any improvement. I then replaced the belt. PROBLEM SOLVED! Apparently the belt stretches, and even the torsion pulley does not pull it tight enough. It was cheap and easy to change. I would recommend trying a new belt. Good luck!

T

Tony23007

Whining Noise

A new belt will more than likely help hide the problem away, but as the belt stretches the whining will come back. If you car has a whine right after it gets hot and running temp it must be the water pump, the tensioner gives you more like a bad bearing sound ,the pump is more high pitched. I just changed my water pump and it was not difficult at all, it took about 4 hours because of that stupid gasket that gets stuck all over the engine block cost of a new pump $99.00. Like mentioned earlier get a stethoscope from Autozone or any parts place and put it up to the water pump, if it definitely points to the pump change it or wait until it breaks. I decided to change it before it broke on me on the highway, better safe than sorry.

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
I don't have any noises coming from my drive belt, however, my belt is starting to look physically worn. My question as others have raised is whether or not the fan actually has to be removed. I see that the manual calls out some special tools to replace the fan, which is why I would like to do this leaving the fan in place if possible. I'm also curious if there is anything else that should be replaced at the same time? :confused:

Last edited:

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
Get a stethoscope! It could be a number of things. The steth will help!! I got money on tensioner bearing or alternater. tensioner bearing is cheap & easy to fix.
I hate belt dressing!!! I gets all over stuff & makes a mess & the whinning comes back!