Defender for US in 2007

N

NorCalDiscoII

Sorry, if this is old news, just happen to come across the article. Supposedly Toy is bringing the old-fashioned FJ Land Cruiser back, and if LR will actully make this thing, there's going to be a pretty nice market of ready-out-of-the-box-4x4 to choose from:

2008 Defender
112_0407_sketchpad02_z.jpg

Current Rubicon
enlarge_7.jpg

FJ concept
112_det03gal_toyfj2_z.jpg

S

Snwbord24

That is one ugly ass FJ. So they mimicked the FJ grill and called it good huh? That's about the only resemblance I see.

D

doc1911

The guy next door owns the local Toyota dealership. Hr said the FJ is a definate. I will try to get some pics

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
who care all those things will suck even the D-90. true 4wd's will deminish. Seems the wrangler is the only thing holding on. I think when the current Defender is the last of the Land ROvers..

A

AndyThoma

how about the wrangler rescue that's suppose to be coming out, think rubicon with the common rail diesel from the 05 liberty.

also right now you can get a rubicon unlimited, or a rubicon package on the unlimited wrangler. i know this is going to get me flamed but the unlimited is actually pretty nice, with the rubicon package i could see it as a viable alternative to a defender. not as cool or with that bling factor, but a nice factory package for sure.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
AndyThoma said:
how about the wrangler rescue that's suppose to be coming out, think rubicon with the common rail diesel from the 05 liberty.

also right now you can get a rubicon unlimited, or a rubicon package on the unlimited wrangler. i know this is going to get me flamed but the unlimited is actually pretty nice, with the rubicon package i could see it as a viable alternative to a defender. not as cool or with that bling factor, but a nice factory package for sure.

I agree 100%. But I thought that the unlimited rubicon was something only I thought of in a dream.

S

syoung

The only problem is that is still a Wrangler... just like everyone elses... It's nice having something unique in a sea of Wranglers.

A

AndyThoma

The rubicon unlimited is a 2004.5 model, I learned about it by a dealer here in Utah, they told me they are a order only item because of limited availiblity till 05, when it's part of the regular line up. Now get me a unlimited rubicon with a hard top and that diesel and I might have a new trail vehicle in my future. I'll keep my discovery, take off the lift and turn it into my ski/daily driver. At least I can have a classy vehicle off the trail. Actually Jeep people need to worry about their future too. The new GC is IFS and is lower than than the last one by like 2". Hopefully the wrangler can stay away from becoming an image vehicle.

Steve - your right it still is a wrangler. :( I wish it was a defender unlimited but hey, why would LR want to mess up there highend bling image here in the US with a utilitarian vehicle like the defender.

N

NorCalDiscoII

Just visited my mom for our Wed lunch (nothing like a good 'ol russian home-made meal!) and noticed a "Crosslander of Sacramento" full page ad on her phone book. What the heck is this??? It looks awesome! Damn thing looks like a crossover between G-Wagon and D90 or something!!! Check out the website (it's ass-made, but has good pics):

SEEC02.jpg

G

Greg P

For $29,000 retail

Attachments

• unlimitedrubicon.jpg
    unlimitedrubicon.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 289
S

syoung

that Crosslander has been vaporware for a long time. Are they actually selling those heaps yet? I can just hear it now over the CB in the mountains "anyone have a __fill in the name of any spare part___ for a Crosslander?"

"uh, no..."

The kitted out one in that pic is REALLY not that cheap...

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
A good friend of ours is a jeep sales person...and he saw a Rubicon Unlimited Lifted and accessorized at Camp Jeep this year...I saw pics and it looked BAD ASS.

I know it's a Jeep, but atleast they are still making hard (er) core off-roaders than LR. :(

K

Kyle

The unlimited is a really nice truck. I am considering one myself for a toy...

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I don't know man.. To me the longer rear end just looks funny.. I'd just get the regular rubicon and pull out the worthless back seat..

K

Kyle

Well I would imagine you can order it with the Rubi crap on it . You know I need some room inside man.... Lotsa room..

G

Greg P

Kyle said:
Well I would imagine you can order it with the Rubi crap on it . You know I need some room inside man.... Lotsa room..

Yeah, that picture I posted is the unlimited with the rubi crap on it. Went to the Jeep site and did build your own. Got a price of $29k and that was the picture. :)

K

Kyle

Hmmmm , I wonder if John Kerry and Al Gore can get me a deal on one ? :D

A

AndyThoma

Kyle said:
Hmmmm , I wonder if John Kerry and Al Gore can get me a deal on one ? :D

Oh man that's just bad ... :rolleyes:

Wow $29k for a pretty useful truck with a factory warranty on those lockers and gearing. Last year when my disco died I looked hard at a rubicon. Those regular wranglers are just to damn small with two people, two dogs, two mountain bikes and gear for a week of playing in southern Utah. A unlimited, even with its ugly long back really is starting to look like it might have a place in my driveway.

Now if I can get Kyle to make me a backpack rack at the group buy price, I'll be set. :D

N

NorCalDiscoII

AndyThoma said:
... ugly long back really is starting to look like it might have a place in my driveway.

Lift and tires sure make a big difference in the looks for this thing, don't they?