Disco vs. F-150 DING DING DING Disco Wins!

J

jnjander

First off, thankfully everyone is o.k.
Got rear-ended by a newer model F-150 this afternoon, I was slowing down with traffic, she (F-150 driver) wasn't and nailed be going around 70mph (knocked me 800'+). Caused me to hit the car in front, minor damage to that car. My Disco will need a new rear door and rear bumper and a few misc. parts, but that F-150 is toast! The cop was like, "you know man, that's sad...such little damage to your truck and look at that Ford." the engine compartment was half it's original size.
I need to send Land Rover a card thanking them for building a FRAKING TANK!!!

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Much heavier vehicle, but even then the car doing the rear-ending always feels the brunt of the accident. Man good thing everyone is OK, especially considering 70.

wolfman

Apr 23, 2004
Maryland
Lady ran a stop light and spun me and my 2002 Disco 360 plus another 90 degrees - she hit my hood and passenger fender. She was in Corolla - we figure going about 70 mph. Her car was shredded by collision and the fire department cut up the rest of it. I walked away - felt like I hit a pot hole. Thanks LR. She did $11,000 damage to my Rover.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Wow

From the pictures, I would never guess you were hit by her going that fast! I was hit from the rear by a 1978 Chevy Truck going 60mph+ while I was stopped, and in a rental Grand Am. The ENTIRE backend was in the backseat and I'm still being seen by doctors (this was 1.5years ago!)!!! The paramedics did tell me that I would have been much better off in my rover (though I'm glad it was just the cheap rental that was totalled!)!!!

Glad no one was hurt and that you'll soon get your baby back!

J

jnjander

All I can guess is that the spare tire absorbed the brunt of the force. You can see the door is pushed in. The truck that hit me had severe damage. It was crunched bad. Looks like Disco's save lives all the time. If I had been in my wife's Passat....it could have been bad. I almost drove it that day.

F

Falconx84

ahh... the irony... hit by a ford then given a ford to drive....

My disco was hit by an old lady in the parking lot of wal-mart. $5k worth done to my truck and her car was totaled. I fixed most of the damage myself and using the insurance money to get some bling, lol -- slimline, lift, and hopefully tires -- dunno if you can do that work yourself tho

Good luck w/ that, glad everyone is ok and that the disco's not dead

Robb

Apr 20, 2004
James,

Glad to hear you are ok and that the Disco did that well at such a high-impact collision. Let me guess. This was on GA 400.

I noticed you have a New Orleans (NOLA) spare tire cover. Did you purchase the vehicle down there or did you buy the spare tire cover? Any relation to the area? I am from Metairie (suburb of NOLA) and would love to have that same tire cover but I have 235x85x16s so that is out of the question.

Talk to you later,

Robb Sundmaker
Cumming, GA
robb-sundmaker@msn.com

J

jnjander

I just got "the call", after further investigation by the body shop, my truck has been deemed a total loss. :(

Robb-You guessed it, GA 400 just past Mansell. I got the cover from a fellow D-Webber, no links to that area.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Total Loss?~

Not to question your insurance...but...how in the HECK can that be a total loss? You could fix that truck no problem!!! If you can...buy it from them and sell it as a project!!!

J

jnjander

Not my insurance, the other persons.
Rear door, rear bumper, step assembly, rails, hood, front bumper, rear quarter panel, spare, spare monut, lots of paint and lots of labor comes up to over $11,000 in parts and labor. For a 99 DII, that almost reached it's value of 14 or 15. I had two estimates, both close to the same $.

There will be a DII on the State Farm auction block soon I guess. But the good news is that they are giving me $17K for it because I bugged the crap out of them about it :D

Never take a "no from someone who can't give you a "yes"!

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
here is the mirror image of your accident - I rear ended an F150. Insurance totaled my Disco, I negotiated with insurance and got to keep the truck, slowly being rebuilt in my garage.

Attachments

• d-f-320.jpg
    d-f-320.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 155
  • f150-320.jpg
    f150-320.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 143
C

Cozmo

James tell me you at least got the tire cover off of it before the insurance company got it.

J

jnjander

Yup, I got the cover. Holes and all. It was sad to see my truck sitting there in the graveyard with a bunch of clunkers. :(
I am thinking about taking a ride over there again and popping off all of MY center caps that I just dished out $$ for. I forgot to get them the first time.

I also got the Owners Manual if any one would like to purchase one :)

C

Cozmo

Grab what you can and sell sell sell! Esp. the rear bumper overridders. The plastci pieces on the corners just above the rear bumper. They come off real easy and are rather costly from the dealer. Pretty sure they go for over $100 a piece.

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
I know it's a pain to lose the vehicle, but sounds like you will come out okay. You can take the money and buy another DII (or whatever) that has not been in an accident and preserve the resale value.

Even though you say you can't see a lot of damage, you don't know what has happened under the skin.

I'd say take a deep breath, step back, and start over. If you want an exact replacement the prices are diving now with the new models coming out, so you should have some money left over for additional toys / kit.

Good luck!