Visual wear on spark plug wires

P

Peter-man99

This specific question doesn't happen to be for my disco but it would apply. When looking at spark plug wires is there going to be visual indicators that it is time to change them or are they just done on an interval regardless of appearance.

Sorry if this is a lame question

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
I think that is like one of those things where you just do it, every X amount of miles or when your truck starts running shitty take your pick, as far as milage I know they are re-placed at 30k mile intervals when you have the repective service dont at the $tealer$hip.

James Fulcher

Sep 14, 2004
Cedar Island NC
I always look for cracks or signs of dry rotting. There may be a regular interval which they should be changed but I have made it since 96 by visualy inspecting them. Good luck. :confused:

P

Peter-man99

If I were to test for resistance (if its possible) does anyone know the acceptable range? I'm guessing right around 0 but its just a guess.

D

Disco Mike

Peter,
Besides the mileage factor, if the wires are failing they will be arcking to the least possible path of resiatance, like the engine. This will cause a greyish round wear pattern and if it is bad enough you can open your hood at night with the engine running and it will light up like a Xmas tree with all the wires shorting the something.
If you have 60,000 miles on your wires, make them go away cause they are most likely shot.
Mike J.

A

agro1

Open the hood - turn the lights off, start the motor and use a spray bottle filled with water to mist onto the plug wires. If they are bad, you will see arcing between the wires and see what looks like sparks traveling between wires. This is a good way to test if the wires need to be replaced.

D

deltadude388

sometimes you gotta love the newer tech vehicles with the DI, no wires to deal with, just pricey coils if/when they break! :cool:

P

Peter-man99

Thanks all that is really helpful and may just save me $88 bucks!

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
I think that last time I checked there wasn't an internal comustion engine with out spark plug wires. Jack have you ever opened the hood?

Last edited:

Str0ud

Apr 20, 2004
Iowa
rover4x4 said:
I think that last time I checked there wasn't an internal comustion engine with out spark plug wires. Jack have you ever opened the hood?

LOL

D

deltadude388

rover4x4 said:
NO SPARK PLUG WIRES on my Mercedes! I have a coil pak per 2 spark plugs.
NO SPARK PLUG WIRES on my Toyota Tundra too, one coil pak per spark plug.
Direct ignition! No spark plug wires to change, ever, unless coil pak blows! and yes, I have opened my hood many times! :D :D :D