DII Serpentine Belt Pulley

B

bshinn

Anybody know of a place to purchase the pulley on the tensioner by itself? Sounds like shit, but rolls smooth, got a # off the bearing, but the damn thing seems to be moulded in place.

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
I just rebuilt mine. Part number is at home, unfortunately. However, the bearing was described to me as "the most common alternator bearing in the world" by the guy at the bearing shop. It was about $6.

There is a internal circlip on one side that is kinda fiddly to remove and then reinsert. The other side has an internal flange, so using an appropriately-sized socket, drive it out towards the circlip side once it is removed. If you carry the defunct bearing into any good bearing supply place, they'll be able to match it up.

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
If you've still got the plastic pulley, you're SOL, you'll have to get a new pulley/bearing (metal). If it's a metal pulley, then as Sandy says, a cheap and easy fix.

B

bshinn

I'm screwed! :mad: It's plastic & I can't see any way to remove the bearing.

BTW, WTF do I purchase a metal pulley? Please don't say the stealership.

F

frickjp

NAPA has lots of pulleys. You may have a shot there. LR only sells the whole shebang. The metal pulley for the D1 won't work, it's smooth with no grooves. And a replaceable $6 bearing. Had to go Mr. Cool with the D2, didn't ya.? I'll check with the local NAPA tomorrow. If all else fails, I know I have a whole tensioner somewhere. Hey, while you're there, are you sure it's the tensioner? The relay pulley right below the tensioner is famous for noise. A brand new one of those is all metal, and about $20 at the dealer. PQR500060.

alex3324

Oct 19, 2004
Valhalla I am coming home!
bshinn said:
I'm screwed! :mad: It's plastic & I can't see any way to remove the bearing.

BTW, WTF do I purchase a metal pulley? Please don't say the stealership.

Go to NAPA, or your favorite auto parts store ( I got mine at Advance Auto, the 'Zone doesn't stock this one)... ask for DAYCO part number 89054. Don't tell them it's for a Rover or they'll charge you double :D ! I think Dayco makes the OEM part. This is just the pulley and should be less than $25.

89054.jpg

BTW - if you have a D1, ask for part number 89006 -it's a perfect fit, and $20 for the pulley is so much easier than trying to get that circlip out and then pressing out the old and pressing in a new bearing.

Last edited:
B

bshinn

BINGO! It's made by Dayco, but no P/N molded into it. & I'll call the stealer tomorrow on the one below the alt.

Thanks guys :D

S

syoung

You can get the whole new tensioner complete under $100, FWIW.

B

bshinn

BTW Frick, I'm 6'0" 235# I looked @ DI's but needed Crisco & a fawk'in shoehorn :D to fit in the damn thing. The DII is still tight, British runt engineers I guess.

F

frickjp

bshinn said:
BTW Frick, I'm 6'0" 235# I looked @ DI's but needed Crisco & a fawk'in shoehorn :D to fit in the damn thing. The DII is still tight, British runt engineers I guess.

You're not selling me on that one. I had 2000 D2 for a year when I bought the D1. My knee hit the console on the right and the bottom of the steering wheel. I'm 6', about 225#. The D1 seat goes back further, and there's more room in it.

S

syoung

$50! I think it's more like $95. but the dealers get over 200 for 'em.

B

bshinn

Still cramped in the DII but it IS 3" wider & that sealed the deal. :D

B

bshinn

FWIW, NAPA has no # to match Dayco's, but Advance will have one in my hands by noon today for the grand total of $21.88 + tax!

B

bshinn

Just back from the stealer, P/N PQR500060 is now $36.00 & NOT rebuildable. It's steel but the bearing is pressed & staked in about 8 points w/ no snap ring!

B

bshinn

New pullys in & it's quiet as a church mouse! :D

The replacement tensioner pully is 5mm smaller (95mm vs 100mm) than the factory one, but it seems to work fine.

FWIW what started all this BS was an undersized belt from Autozone. Broke mine last Sunday & went there for a replacement because they were the only game in town w/ a listing.

Turned out to only be 6 rib vs 7 rib, bought it anyway just to get me by untill Monday. Was a bitch to get on, but I chalked that up to belt strech on the old one. Turns out it was 1 1/4" smaller than the one NAPA listed (P/N 070922 1" x 92 3/4" 7 rib). Running around town for about 30 miles looking for the right belt cooked the bearings. :mad:

Autozone's confuser lists the wrong part, beware! NAPA was cheaper than I have found online $31.95.

Bob

Oct 27, 2004
bshinn said:
Just back from the stealer, P/N PQR500060 is now $36.00 & NOT rebuildable.

$36 is stealing? That sounds like a resonable price. At least you would be sure it's the right part.

Last edited:
F

frickjp

bshinn said:
Just back from the stealer, P/N PQR500060 is now $36.00 & NOT rebuildable. It's steel but the bearing is pressed & staked in about 8 points w/ no snap ring!

That's the relay pulley, and it was never rebuildable. The tensioner pulley for the D1 has a replaceable bearing, the relay pulleys do not. Suggested retail price on that pulley is $24.90, so you know where you stand with your dealer.

B

bshinn

Suggested retail price on that pulley is $24.90, so you know where you stand with your dealer.

Chris,

Now you know why I refer to LR Charlotte as the Stealership. Feel like a leper when I walk in there.

Buffy & Miff looking @ a new Rangie Sport, 8 70ish "Old Charlotte Money ladies" waiting on the oil change for the Range Rover, loads of Discos in line for Service & Maint, & mine the only one with dirt in the wheel wells, much less the bodywork.

Makes me want to fawking puke!