Installing Full Size CB in 2004 Disco

wolfman

Apr 23, 2004
Maryland
Could use your advice for installing full size Cobra CB in my 2004 Disco. Need to have all the legroom and cup holders in driver and passenger front seats and can't install on top of the dash. Any ideas?

wolfman

Apr 23, 2004
Maryland
Thanks, tried that, radio is too thick. Also afraid of water from rain etc. I've been trying to figure someting out using the center console but solution is not obvious to me. A simple bolt it to the back on center console doesn't give enough room to drop the rear seats. I also have the sunroofs :( so I can't use the center front of head liner. A little concerned about radio weight on the visor storage units too.

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
i've got mine mounted up top, it's the small radio shack one, but you could mount a full size one up there. Thats where i like it the most, it's not for everybody cuz the thing dangles down a bit.

Cheers

Jack

O

Off Road Disco

There really isn't much room for a full size radio given your constraints. Why the need for the full size radio? Many of the smaller radios work just as well if you add a remote speaker. There really isn't much of a need for the big 4 watt AM radio these days other than the speaker. Even 40 watt commercial mobile radios run much smaller these days. Just a thought anyway, the smaller CB's will let you mount almost anywhere.

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
Cobra makes one where everything is in the mic. I'm not sure about quality, but for the space constraints, it would be a good alternative.

W

wei

Not sure what dimensions you are looking for, but have you looked at using the glove compartment?

Also, you *could* potentially install it where the passenger airbag sits. Just fab a hinge for the airbag cover so you could flip it open to access the CB.

utahdog2003

Apr 20, 2004
North Florida
Back side of the center console is a great idea. I had my CB there in my Tacoma, and its going there in the DII shortly. As long as you have some normal people generally using the back seat (read: No Crazy Jumpin' Around Rug-Rats) then the Console is the bes place.

S

Snwbord24

As stated earlier, you can't fold the back seats down if you mount it on the back of the center console. I would have to agree with others here on getting a smaller CB. More mounting options with little loss of performance. What about inside the center console? I know some people mount CD changers in there, maybe not enough room on the DII though. You'd definately have some fabbing to do for it.

wolfman

Apr 23, 2004
Maryland
Thanks for all the good ideas - sorry its been a few days but I couldn't get on Discoweb for a while - upgrades I guess.

The big radio is brand new SSB rig so going smaller is not choice for me (no wise cracks). Radio is 9X9X2.5.

Inside the center console is good idea - did not occur to me. Glove box is too small I think. Back side of console might work but need to elevate radio on something to keep the back seats from smashing it. No kids to worry about so far.

Anyone know how hard is is to take out center console or better question is put it back together after an exploratory session?

DonC

Apr 20, 2004
The Woodlands, Texas
Wolfman,
I just traded my 02 Freelander in on a 04 Disco SE7 and last night I installed the antenna. I will taking the center console out sometime over the next few days to run power to the back of it so I can hook my CB up in that area. There should not be too many changes from my 96 SE7 to remove the center. If rememeber correctly there 2 screws on the bottom of the cubby and 2 in the front of the console under the rubber mat. This was about 3 years ago that I did this so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

SilverJ

Apr 20, 2004
Colorado
I have a full size Uniden and for awhile I couldn't figure out where to put it. I fold the back seats down for my dogs, so back of console was not an option. I designed some tabs, and my husband fabricated them, that enabled me to 'hang' it on the front right of the console (where you'd normally put those large cupholders). The tabs are bolted (not visible) in the console so the cb won't shift on the trails. I can still move the passenger seat all the way forward, and it doesn't get in the way for anyone who might be sitting there. Also, the useless coin try is now a handy spot to hang the mic. I'm really happy with this set up as it doesn't get in the way of anything, and it looks real nice.

Mudy_ovl

Apr 20, 2004
Alabama
Wolfman, I have designed CB brackets for the D1 and D2 Discos. They allow you to install the CB (mini or full-size) on either side of the center console and do not require any drilling. Several DWebbers have purchased them and I have received no complaints. I am not sure if either bracket will fit your 2004 though. I can design one if you are interested. Drop me an e-mail off-line if you are. I will make the appropriate donation to DWeb if this goes through.
Chris

SilverJ

Apr 20, 2004
Colorado
Wolfman, here's 2 up-close shots as well as a general view. Good luck whatever you end up doing. Chris sounds like he's got a good solution, too, plus you can support the DWeb community.

These pics will auto-delete in five days so no waste of space :D

Last edited: